Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

do geese lay every day?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1do geese lay every day? Empty do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 am

vic's chicks

Our pilgrim laid her first egg yesterday. Not in either of the beautiful nest areas we created but behind my husbands workshop in a sheltered area. I went to get my hubby, to show him and my daughters dog got the egg. I don't want her to be in that place so we closed all the gates so they can't get into that part of the yard. I don't know where she will go next and I am wondering how often they lay so I can watch for it.

2do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:49 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would check that area every morning and see what her laying schedule is. I find that once they pick a spot...that is THE spot.

3do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:58 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

every 36hrs and after they've laid a few they'll take a 2-3day break and then lay again. Mine bury their eggs about 4-6inches down in the hay nest so I have to dig to find them but it helps freezing/splitting eggs. Although thats not an issue for you Vic's chicks Smile

4do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:05 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes I find mine are every few days and burry them in hay too.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

5do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:42 pm

vic's chicks

What will happen if she can't get back in to that spot? Hopefully she will pick a new place. I think it would be so much more convenient to have them closed in somewhere but that is not going to happen this year so we will just have to make do. We were going to try to fence them in around the pond but we ended up getting a ton of snow and a big tree just fell two feet behind our cars, blocking us in. Goose fence just fell to the bottom of the list.

6do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:20 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

She may pick another place or she may run around crazy (like a broody off the nest) holding on and waiting to get back to her spot. My geese are showing signs of Spring fever so I'm going to have to go dig down a couple feet so I can get the door to my green house open so they can get in and prep their nests. Warmed up to -20 but wind is chilly and snow is hard packed like concrete so I'm procrastinating and having an extra coffee Smile

7do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

SerJay wrote:Warmed up to -20 but wind is chilly and snow is hard packed like concrete so I'm procrastinating and having an extra coffee Smile

yikes. what have you been having? I think we picked a warm place in Canada to live. We are thinking it is getting cold at -10 these days. Only had two -30 spells this winter. Lot of snow now.

I am enjoying learning about other birds. I think it is cool that geese bury their eggs like that. Very clever of them.

8do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:22 pm

vic's chicks

Well after reading all these posts we have decided to let them stay where they chose. We cleaned all the garbage out of there today .They might not like it as much now. We just have to fence off a little piece of the garden and they can have the rest. It is a huge fenced area and they can exit via the chicken yard to get to the pond. They are pretty smart because no one goes there this time of year . If she starts go broody we can lock them in there and nothing will bother them. When the goose is broody does the gander still wander around and go to the pond? I have a baby pool I can put near her nest. We have two females. I wonder if the other one decides to lay will she go to the same place or not? So many questions. So much to learn.

9do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:39 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great that they found an out of the way place because they can become quite unpredictable and irritable when nesting. He will wander a bit but probably won't go too far without at least one girl. Second female may share the same nest my girls quite often do or may find a place close by of her own. Just watch out mild even tempered geese turn looney when nesting!!
While nesting geese like to work on their nest, do not help make their nest or they may seek another place. Just put a bucket or pile of hay/straw near their nest and they will help themselves to what they think they need and you will be amazed by the time they finally finish Smile

Magdelan I went to junior high and high school in Courtenay where Vic's chicks lives and my friends have been sending me taunting photos of the bulbs blooming in their yards and now moaning at the white covering everything LOL I have not seen ground since November and can barely see my second rail on my fences. It was -29 last night but got up to -12 today and after school my kids swore it was far too sunny and hot outside to wear coats

10do geese lay every day? Empty Re: do geese lay every day? Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:52 am

vic's chicks

I guess she didn't like our cleanup job. Either that or the fact that the dog ate her egg, She laid another one this morning in another shed. She didn't cover it at all,even though there is a lot of straw around. It is the worst place, right beside the entrance to the chicken yard. Right beside the path to the house. All the chickens are checking it out. I am going to take it away and barricade the front so she can't get in there . Not sure what she will do next.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum