Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

geese nesting question

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1geese nesting question Empty geese nesting question Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:49 am

vic's chicks

I have noticed some mating activity or rather attempted mating . Our young pilgrims have started. We gave up trying to get them off the pond at night so they are not used to going in. We are planning to just fence in the whole pond and a large area around it. We will still let them out to free range though. We have never had waterfowl so this is all a new adventure. If they want to lay eggs and if they want to sit on them what do they need. We have built so many nest areas for chickens that they refuse to use. I would like get it right for the geese and am worried they will go into the woods and marshes around the pond to lay their eggs. We have a large house for them that we plan to move closer to the pond but will they actually use it? How can we make it attractive to them. I am seriously thinking of building an island in the centre of the pond with an A frame shelter with a nest underneath. Would that be a bad idea?

2geese nesting question Empty Re: geese nesting question Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:58 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like your last idea of the island with the A frame. Geese will go where they like the most, and for safety. So that is a good idea.
I lock my geese up until they pick a nesting spot then I let them free range and they go back, but if I let them range too much before they decide to nest they will pick the most undesirable locations.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum