Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Halogen Heat Lamps

+4
authenticfarm
lanaire-ranching
Schipperkesue
Hidden River
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does anyone use Halogen heat lamps to brood chicks?
I am having issues with the heat lamp bulbs lately, the seem to get too hot and break away from their bases. So thought about trying these halogen lights. They are red heat, so the same at the incandescent bulbs, and if they decide to take our heat bulbs away it would be a good alternative heat source.
Just looking for feedback before I order some.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Arcticsun does, but they are very hot.

I do recall a scare some time back where a certain bulb was used for young parrots and was detrimental to their health. I think it was off gassing from a type of halogen. I will look.

3Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:38 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have nothing important to add, other than it would be nice to hear some feedback. they are working hard to take away all these sorts of bulbs (as it is, a person can no longer get normal lightbulbs, so now I have to figure out a different method for my water heater base!)

it would be interesting to hear how these work. are they efficient, and how are they power-bill wise?

4Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:42 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here....Teflon coated bulbs.

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/7-5/warning_teflon-coated_light_bulbs_toxic_to_chickens_the_full_story/

Halogens use a lot of electricity as well....but they do produce a lot of heat.

5Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:43 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am moving away from heat lamps entirely and using the eco glow brooders (or sweeter heaters) or oil filled heaters for heat in larger areas.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

I had to put heat in my barn last winter to kid my goats and to keep my horses water unfrozen. I found the safest and most reliable source to be radiant heat - cost me a lot of money to purchase and to keep running however I didn't lose one minute of sleep with it. Whenever I need it I just plug it in and leave.
I have decided to go the same way to start my chicks, I have an ecoglow 20 and I believe I will purchase a sweeter heater to hang - this way it could work for both the goats and the chickens Smile
I went away from anything 'hot' as I had a goat knock a heat lamp down once and it nearly started a fire....good thing I was there!

7Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:32 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know there are other things out there but I will always use the heat lamp bulbs
I will watch this thread as I also had problems with bulbs that separated It was bulb I bought at Peavey mart dont know what brand but I was blaming the birds for flying into them until one day I watched it happen I have now been getting my Bulbs from Princess Auto and they have been okay so far.
any way halogen sounds good

8Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We use Infrared halogen bulbs in our quartzray heater for our main chick brooder coop. But I need something for my brooder boxes that will either be a permanent fixture or a hanging heat lamp of sorts.
This was the lamp I was looking at
http://www.berryhill.ca/product-p/15000.htm

9Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 pm

With a small radiator and a small hot water tank you can have a fairly cheap heat source without any worries of over heating  , fires, broken bulbs etc , You set the thermostat in the hot water tank and also wire up a thermostat control to the fan which when needed turns on and  blows through the rad giving you all the heat you need . Or get one of the fairly cheap hot water on demand units ( Marey ) being sold on E-bay and doing the same thing with it .That or if u have a general area where the chicks will always be ........radiant floor heat with the same hot water tank  system You could cement the water lines into a thin layer of concrete and always have a warm floor which in turn would warm the area , or even have the return water go through a rad again to get the extra heat if needed ............just a thought

10Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:37 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I used this in my unheated workshop a few years back, and the price has come down...

Lee Valley Heater

It put out amazing heat, was installed overhead on the ceiling, was low cost for usage, and was on when I needed it and just heated the area I needed. I'm thinking of installing some of these in my chick houses, as I can't find red heat lamp bulbs anywhere now...

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

11Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have one of those too, IslandGal. Very efficient and safe. Unfortunately I cannot use it in my little coop where I want it. It keeps blowing the breaker.

12Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:31 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have those too for our little chick shed for when we were brooding in winter and they were a bit older.
I need something that will heat a 4X4 or 2X4 brooding box for small amounts of chicks, those heaters would cook them.

13Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Hidden River wrote:We have those too for our little chick shed for when we were brooding in winter and they were a bit older.
I need something that will heat a 4X4 or 2X4 brooding box for small amounts of chicks, those heaters would cook them.

A heat pad ? something like what they use in nurseries ? or if you can get your hands on a old water bed heater ? just saying ..............

14Halogen Heat Lamps Empty Re: Halogen Heat Lamps Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 am

birish

We use an old water bed heater and it works really well,no ht or cold spots

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum