Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cougar in the area!!!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cougar in the area!!! Empty Cougar in the area!!! Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:59 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yikes - there was a cougar spotted a few streets over tonight.  We normally don't have cougars on our Island, they swim over every 4 years or so.  I guess this is the 4th year.

Any cougar territory -sheep/chicken/pig owners - have any suggestions?  Some of my property is electric, netting on some, wire on some.  The entire perimeter is really good gauge livestock wire fencing, 5 feet to 6 feet depending on location, and is entirely fenced with gates always closed.  Tomorrow I could quickly run a hot wire around the top of the fence, wouldn't take long and I have the wire and connectors, I think I have enough connectors.

I have two German Shepherds, but they are not loose with the chickens, sheep or pigs - ever - lots more training to do before that happens.  They have their own yard. I could walk the perimeter with them on leash to give the cougar the idea that there are dogs.  Will the pig smells attract or drive away a cougar?  I've tossed around the idea of an LGD, but don't know if I can handle the constant barking.

I hope they eat the dying, mangled and sick deer that are all around this overpopulated deer infested island, and that the cougar leaves my critters alone.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

2Cougar in the area!!! Empty Re: Cougar in the area!!! Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:40 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Keep your shepherd's out for a few nights, they will definitely let you know if a cougar around. Yes cougars like pigs, sorry. Darn things are really

sneaky.  Check around for foot prints, around your fences. If you have trees, look up when walking around too.

3Cougar in the area!!! Empty Re: Cougar in the area!!! Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:51 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

islandgal99 wrote: I've tossed around the idea of an LGD, but don't know if I can handle the constant barking.

LGD's don't constantly bark-some might Their job is to alert to things out of the ordinary. Mine barks when things are not quite right, someone walking past the house, bicycles (he hates bicycles) otherwise, he is pretty happy and so are we. Takes a while though ~2years before they do their job

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum