Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

do roosters know other roosters?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1do roosters know other roosters? Empty do roosters know other roosters? Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm about to reveal my ignorance one more time Embarassed . I have another question about roostery stuff. I have that little bright spark, Henry the 8th who is a cochin bantam - always looks at me with his chest puffed up, head held as high as possible and eyeballs me down his beak in 100% suspicion - I will probably always be the enemy in his eyes Razz . I like him a lot actually, he takes care of the girls well and tolerates the other known roosters in the same coop (the two Judy's who are dudes after all and another mix-up chicken).

So my question is this, do roosters always know other roosters or will they treat a rooster like a hen some times. I have a silkie bantam in with the cochins bantams (and few other diff blends) and we are still unclear about gender in this silkie. It is such a placid and get out of your way little peeper, cannot tell if it is a rooster or not and Henry hauls on this silkie's head like the known hens. I have not seen Henry riding any of the chickens yet. I think the silkie would be coming up to about 5 months now. Have occasionally seen the silkie do that flared out neck feather dance but I know this doesn't mean rooster necessarily - hens sometimes do that too I understand. We would really like to know if it is a rooster or not, have been waiting to hear the crow for ever! Want it to be a pullet actually and wonder if Henry would do the neck feather clamp down thing if it were another rooster. I hope this is an indicator. Otherwise, any clues as to how tot ell if your silkie is a rooster or a pullet? apart from crowing and egg laying of course Smile . Ta.

2do roosters know other roosters? Empty Re: do roosters know other roosters? Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Pictures would probably help? There are lots of very experienced people here who can evaluate the shape, feathers, etc. of a young bird.

3do roosters know other roosters? Empty Re: do roosters know other roosters? Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

good thinking farmchiq, see if I can get some posing tomorrow.

4do roosters know other roosters? Empty Re: do roosters know other roosters? Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:43 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

IMO, roos do know what sex other chickens are, even as chicks. As do chicks themselves. I brood in my house. My brooders are clear. My house roo Bradley will always check out the chicks as they are growing and the chicks get to see Bradley. When the chicks get transfered to a cage at around 1 month, Bradley and the chicks can make contact with each other. I have seen Bradley nest and allow a month old chick groom his crest. These chicks do turn out to be pullets. As well I have seen 1 month old chicks puff out at Bradley. Sure enough, they do turn out to be roos.

The mating thing being males is a show of dominance. Yes, they know that they are doing it with another male. Same as I have seen Alpha hens mount a subordinate female to tell them who head hen is. It's all a part of the pecking order.

5do roosters know other roosters? Empty Re: do roosters know other roosters? Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:48 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thanks Toybarons, I am even more curious now!

6do roosters know other roosters? Empty Re: do roosters know other roosters? Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

got a couple pictures. not really good ones cause everyone out there is a bit uncomfortable with the cold and I have ventilation issues to take care of - I think that is probably the most uncomfortable thing for them, not really the cold itself. So, this is the little silkie who came from a hatchery so will most likely be disappointing from the perspective of showing and sop standards. However, I'd be interested in hearing any comments just the same, if any one would like to comment. no heart on sleeve here, just a clean slate for learning Smile . do roosters know other roosters? Front_10
do roosters know other roosters? Side10
do roosters know other roosters? Turnin10
I imagine my photos are not going to be that helpful. Any thoughts most appreciated.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum