Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sigh, I guess I have to start checking.

+3
Schipperkesue
authenticfarm
coopslave
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sigh, I guess I have to start checking. Empty Sigh, I guess I have to start checking. Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:45 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Went to UFA today and got chicken feed.  
I get the layer pellets, they only have 17% here and I would like 18%.  It really is more a crumble than a pellet, don't like that either.
Anyways, make my own kinda scratch treat for them.  Whole wheat, whole corn and black sunflower seeds.  They get it just before bed in the cold to help keep them warm at night.

So got my bag of pellets/crumbles and emptied it into the garbage can, then the wheat.....hold on, it is a bag of whole oats.  Crap, oh well they will have to go with oats for this time.  Then pack the whole corn down.....hold on, it is rolled corn and very dusty.  Man, it must have been Mondayitis today at the Airdrie UFA!!  At least the black sunflower seeds I picked off the shelf myself was the right thing. Rolling Eyes 

I may have to start investigating other places to get feed here.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find with the layer pellets, sometimes it is a crumble, and sometimes it is pellets.

I know where everything is at my UFA and I get out of the vehicle to double check. Sometimes it's a new guy, and they don't know where everything is yet.

There is a place in Sundre that sells organic feed (and regular, too) and will deliver to your area. I will try to remember the name of it ...

There is a small feed store in Cochrane as well.

Peavey Mart also carries poultry feed. Last time I bought it there, it was more of a crumble than a pellet.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Peavy in Leduc is waaaay too expensive. Co-op can be good, but my favorite is the places that offer layer mash, with crushed grains. There is less waste.

Right now I am buying whole grain from the seed cleaning co-op and adding extra protein, oyster shell, grit, etc.

Here is a link to locations:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Found it!

Buff

Buff

There is also a master feed mill in Didsbury. Also Edna at Critters in Crossfield can get feed.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I feel your pain, but in a different way. We live right across the highway from Surecrop, the feed mill that makes and distributes tons of products. They had a retail store as well, where you could buy almost anything, including bagged feed. About 2 weeks ago, they suddenly decided that they would not be selling feed in bags anymore, so that is gone, everything else remains. One can buy the layer pellets in totes, but I think they are about 1,200 pounds, and reallY??? I have no where to store that kind of amounts. Farmchiq offered to get a tote and people in the area could come and fill up bags, but....I use only 18% layer pellets, I like the higher protein for my breeder chickens. Anyways, this is PAINFUL. Now I have to travel about 25 minutes, either south or west, to get food from Buckerfields or Country West. Very painful. Guess I was spoiled. But, interestingly enough, the price of the feed now at Buckerfields is the same as Surecrop had charged. There was no savings for me to go there, just the convenience of being 1 minute away. Oh well. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now I feel Cynthia's pain but only in the smallest of ways. Grain is only a small part of the feed I purchase. Two months ago a feed store popped up in the tiny town where I work. They lasted long enough for me to start to rely on them, then whoosh! Out of business!

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Will have to investigate Peavy Mart. Haven't found it yet.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:Found it!

Will look into this too. We have no where for storage yet though. May be a thought when the horses are here.

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cynthia M I feel your pain!  Loved the Surecrop outlet.  We went there, made a day trip of it with a stop at the log barn and lunch in Vernon....No one seems to know why they closed the retail store?   Mad 
Must add that our local Buckerfields is fantastic!  The guys in the warehouse have my stuff loaded into the truck before I have even ordered it. (yes I bribe with coffee from Tims) They know how many bags of each type....I'm a creature of habit with a very consistent order.  Their prices are higher than the Surecrop outlet was but the service is GREAT!

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I like the feed store in Cochrane, but they can be a little expensive... as for Airdrie, I have dealt with them for so long I generally help grab my own feed and double check labels. sometimes they are just so overworked, and understaffed (and for a few years there very poorly staffed too) that its just a habit I have.
There was a feed store in Sundre, they closed. the UFA in Olds isnt bad.... I am hoping to put in an order for some mini-totes though from the place up north a bit (Healthy Herds I think it is??) if I do, I can let you know and you can always just buy some bags-full out of a tote? just a thought

but this brings me to another feed question. I think I will start my own thread for it Smile

OH! I know what else I wanted to ask. I was actually in Disbury a month or so ago and went looking for the Master Feeds mill--- couldnt find it?? where exactly is it, and do they still have a retail store at it?

and another note, because I am remembering stuff as I type.... I DO like the layer ration at the Cochrane store more than the others, even if its a few bucks more-- it has extra oyster shell added into it. I like that. I always generally feed mine extra oyster in their feed mix, if they want it they will eat it I figure.

Buff

Buff

Last time I was at master feed yes there was a retail store. If you come in on the 2A from Carstairs turn left before the 4-way stop on hwy. Its along this road sorry I don't know the name of the road it is the back way into town. Just stay on that road cross over railway tracks an it's on the left hand side you can't miss it. It would be the south side of town.

13Sigh, I guess I have to start checking. Empty Re: Sigh, I guess I have to start checking. Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

lanaire, check the link I posted above to Mountain View Feeds in Sundre - they are new and will deliver to Cochrane. My friend in Cochrane said that Mountain View's organic layer was the same price as the regular layer at the Cochrane feed store.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum