Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

paint booth ran out of paint!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1paint booth ran out of paint! Empty paint booth ran out of paint! Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 pm

niglefritz

Help! One of our BCM is laying thin shelled eggs (2 now) that have skipped the "paint booth." There is no color at all on her last 2 eggs. We feed them all the same, the weather has gone from quite cool to hot just recently. I feed these ones my kitchen scraps...they get special treatment. One hen is preferred more than the others. They are only about 1 yr. old. I was wondering if any kind of stress could do this? I don't get it. I have never heard of this before...and so that is why I am here. Any ideas on what is going on? Only the one appears to have the issue, and we don't know which one yet. Any help is appreciated!

2paint booth ran out of paint! Empty Re: paint booth ran out of paint! Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

They have been laying like crazy for 6 months and now it is time for a rest.  Most of the flock here is doing the same thing.  You can increase the protein, but I'm more inclined to let them have a break.  As they get older the lenght of the break increases and the lenght of laying decreases, but yours should start laying before winter.

Mods- I still get kicked off when I go to post.

3paint booth ran out of paint! Empty Re: paint booth ran out of paint! Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:19 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I still get kicked out too Rosewood.

I agree, don't worry to much. Are you noticing a few feathers around, I suspect they may be going to take a break from laying and have a molt.

To many kitchen scraps can throw off the nutrition balance of their diet too. Remember that should be a treat, not most of their feed. Have you got oyster shell grit for them? That will help with the thin eggs.

4paint booth ran out of paint! Empty Re: paint booth ran out of paint! Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:29 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think the point is being missed here. Yes, it is the soft shelled egg, but wondering why the shell, which should be dark brown on a black copper maran (that was the breed I think) is not there? I don't think it has to do with molting, sounds like the bird is still laying. Unless I am not getting what the query is here. A little confused this morning, smiling that big smile. Wishes for a wonderful day for us all, CynthiaM.

5paint booth ran out of paint! Empty Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:24 am

niglefritz

Yes, they have grit and oyster shell...free choice. The scraps are every couple of days, and not much, however, there are only 4 of them at this point. They do get grass and grass seed and the odd dandelions when the kids through some in for them, and of course, their daily ration of rolled grain. They are inside, due to not being able to catch our fox yet. They have a sunroof, lucky things. I am glad that they still have light in there.

When it got cooler so suddenly (low of 5 to high of less than 20), they did come close to quitting laying, but now that it is HOT out (low of 14, and high of 32), they are laying regularly again. I just wondered if it was the sudden change of temp. or something else. I didn't even think of molting.

I was wondering about both...the soft egg, when they hadn't been like that before, and why no color. I thought that was odd, but I have never had this breed (Blue Copper) in the past. Our copper marans never laid anything soft (ah, not true, she did twice), but her color, which was never really dark in the first place, was always consistent.

I wanted to make sure that neither they nor I was missing something important. It could be molting as far as the softness goes, I suppose, but I would wonder then why the missing color? The soft shell also has a bit of bumpiness, if that helps any diagnoses.

I am not panicky...I guess I sounded that way. Smile Instead, just inquiring...always more to learn and I have found since having animals of our own, always an unexpected surprise now and then, I this just struck me as odd.

6paint booth ran out of paint! Empty Re: paint booth ran out of paint! Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ok...interesting to see that I'm not the only one with this issue. Recently, somebody in my flock of Orpingtons laid a white egg. Never seen the like... It was normal in every other way. It was really hot out at the time...but I can't think what that would have to do with it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum