Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Naming the farm(s)?

+5
fuzzylittlefriend
ipf
Fowler
authenticfarm
uno
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Naming the farm(s)? Empty Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:32 am

If you're naming your place, do you use 'Farm' or 'Farms'? Sometimes it sounds better to use 'farms' and I noticed many do it if they put that title in the name of their tract of land, but they only own A farm, so why 'farms' other than sound?

2Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:21 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Use Ranch. Does away with the singular or plural debate.

Back in the day we were a Ranch. Our brand was featured on a sign. How Western!

3Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Hmm Ranch... Astute idea. I'll ask the Moose.

4Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:35 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think "Farms" or "Ranches" implies more than one homestead is in play - i.e. the main farmer and his grown children, who have their own houses, all work together. The operations I know of that use the plural are using it to encompass a multi-family business.

For a singular homestead location, I would just use Farm or Ranch.

Although, for myself - and I am admittedly a land size snob - as soon as you bring in the word farm or ranch, I think you're measuring acres in the hundreds or thousands.

You could avoid the farm/ranch question altogether and just go with "Sweetened's Poultry" or "Sweetened's Critters" or something.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shouldn't the modern term be Agribusiness? Agribusinesses?

You could use Conglomerate and sound fancy.

6Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:56 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We call ourselves a farm (Indolent Poultry Farm), but are only 4.2 acres, so really don't rate, I guess. We do, however have BC farm status!
It's hard to amass thousands of acres on Salt Spring Island.
Indolent Poultry Conglomerate. Hmmm.

7Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:21 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have farm status too on 2.11 acres. I call us Pauluzzi Family Poultry. I was going to have a different name for my sport horse division. Have not decided on that yet.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

8Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:36 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf wrote:We call ourselves a farm (Indolent Poultry Farm), but are only 4.2 acres, so really don't rate, I guess. We do, however have BC farm status!
It's hard to amass thousands of acres on Salt Spring Island.
Indolent Poultry Conglomerate. Hmmm.
Ha now I understand your forum name
Indolent poultry I like that!! Is it because they cause no pain or are they lazy fowl?;')

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

9Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:48 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Actually IPF is the acronym for our forestry consulting company; when we started farming as well, we thought the farm name should have the same acronym. The P and F were easy, but the I was tricky, and "indolent" was the best we could come up with. It's not entirely fair to the laying flock, who are anything but. The meaties merit the name, however.

10Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:18 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here ranch implies you have range. You farm if you break soil, ranch if you mange pasture. Ranchers here say "spent the day farming" (ie ploughing, seeding etc) as opposed to chasing cows, fencing etc.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:19 pm

So... ____ Farm and Ranch.
LOL

12Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:54 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, we had around 4600 acres at the time, so we were a ranch, and dad did both, fought with fields and chased down cows.

How about Acres?

Green Acres and Ham.

Nuffin Acres. Nuffin ventured, nuffin gained.

Goat Hazard Acres.

All Are Aching Acres.

Amortized Acres.

I could go on.

13Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:17 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Well, we had around 4600 acres at the time, so we were a ranch, and dad did both, fought with fields and chased down cows.

How about Acres?

Green Acres and Ham.

Nuffin Acres. Nuffin ventured, nuffin gained.

Goat Hazard Acres.

All Are Aching Acres.

Amortized Acres.

I could go on.

I, the land snob, approve of this wording. I downright like it, actually.

14Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

We are Foxhill Farm.

Not as big as most farms by Alberta standards, but many old world farms are small and diversified just like us, so Farm it is.

Foxhill? We are on a hill and when we moved in we were overrun by foxes. They didn't like us though, moved away and I haven't seen a fox in four years. So the fox part really less descriptive than the farm part!

Finally, I like alliteration so the double f is sweet in my ears.

If I were to rename I would call us Achin' Acres!

15Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:49 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have yet to think of a name for my own chicken operation, so ... I may steal some ideas here. lol

16Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:27 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like 'Acres', as it frees you to be a farm, ranch, nudist colony, a name that can change with your mood.

An Uncle was looking for land near Falkland a few years ago and was trying to think of a farm 'banner' so to speak. A title that would describe his laid back lifestyle. I suggested "Quit Falkland Around." This was not a popular choice.

Where he did settle was an old tire dump and he removed literally thousands of old tires. It was back breaking work. I then suggested, 'Whimpering Spines', as opposed to the worn out Whispering Pines. Also rejected. I don't get it.

By the way, I live amongst pine and it doesn't whisper in a wind. It bends, creaks, bends some more then whomps over and flattens something. Whispering my foot!

17Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:41 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:I like 'Acres', as it frees you to be a farm, ranch, nudist colony, a name that can change with your mood.

An Uncle was looking for land near Falkland a few years ago and was trying to think of a farm 'banner' so to speak. A title that would describe his laid back lifestyle. I suggested "Quit Falkland Around." This was not a popular choice.

Where he did settle was an old tire dump and he removed literally thousands of old tires. It was back breaking work. I then suggested, 'Whimpering Spines', as opposed to the worn out Whispering Pines. Also rejected. I don't get it.

By the way, I live amongst pine and it doesn't whisper in a wind. It bends, creaks, bends some more then whomps over and flattens something. Whispering my foot!
This is how I know you are my kind of people.

18Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We call ourselves Millar Meadows...I also felt guilty about using the term "farm"...so found a way around it!  Very Happy

19Naming the farm(s)? Empty Re: Naming the farm(s)? Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:07 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

OMG Uno you should start a farm naming business! I like the falkland one....so funny!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum