Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Perseid Meteor Showers

+2
coopslave
Hillbilly
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Perseid Meteor Showers Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:27 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Every year, mid August, are the Perseid meteor showers. This year, their peak is monday morning. Best viewing is always pre-dawn light. The Perseids, are the strongest meteor showers we get, and due to August, the best viewing. The Geminids, in December are almost as abundant, but good luck with that one.

Low in the northeast during the early evening, it rises higher in the sky until morning twilight ends observing.

Perseid meteor shower activity increases sharply in the hours after midnight, so plan your observing times accordingly.

A few Perseids can be seen as much as two weeks before and a week after the peak. The extreme limits, in fact, are said to extend from July 17 to Aug. 24, though an occasional one might be seen almost anytime during the month of August.

2Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:07 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the heads up Hillbilly. Will have to have a look.

3Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:54 am

Well I didn't see any meteors but there was a pretty spectacular display of dry lightning to the north of me. I would not have known it was stormy up that way as the sky over my place is perfectly clear.

Guess I'll try to get some sleep now.

4Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:36 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I spotted about a dozen in about 45 min last night before I went to bed. Just a couple bright ones but most really faint. Tomorrow night will be the best but it looks like cloudy weather for me.

5Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:49 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

We were the same Farmchiq, lots of dry lightning. I went to bed, to tired. Maybe tonight!

6Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:58 am

Yes - I couldn't stay up too late but as usual was prowling around the house in the wee hours.  I will do the same again tonight, I'm sure.  Smile  Hopefully I'll spot some.  I love meteor showers!

More info here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

7Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

We lucked out last night. The whole family grabbed a bunch of blankets and some pillows and set up shop on our trampoline. It was great we had the dry lightening to our east and south and clear skies over us. We watched for a couple of hours eating fresh baked cookies and nattering scienceeee stuff. I think we will head out again tonight and watch some more.

8Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

AHHH that's what I was seeing last night. Thought the 18hr days and crazy heat the last 4days had me seeing things Embarassed 

Sounds like a fantastic evening Ruffled

9Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:58 am

MUCH better luck this morning! Very Happy  At least in the meteor viewing. Not so much in the sleeping department.

10Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, well, we had the thunder and lightening and rain storm of the century here last night, so not viewing. Maybe tonight. What a storm, right over us and very scarey and booming loud. I thought of Rosie, Farmchiq when this was going on....and wondered if you had that storm too. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

11Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well we didn't get out last night the clouds just weren't lifting enough Crying or Very sad 

And no Serjay your not off rocker those were moving. Although I completely get the super long days.

12Perseid Meteor Showers Empty Re: Perseid Meteor Showers Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That WAS a big storm - huge winds and rain and lots of thunder right overhead! The power went off later - at 4 am - and we woke up (everything beeps) and went out - husband went to turn off irrigation pumps and we wanted to see the sky show but it was far too cloudy - not a star to be seen.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum