Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zuccini Harvest

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Zuccini Harvest Empty Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ok...this is my 3rd year attempting to grow Zuccini...and I finally got it right.  It turns out that they hated the greenhouse, as not getting pollinated enough!  This is more like it!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Look Good
It was so wet here and so late getting stuff in I doubt I will get anything I did get 1 small tomato LOL
My Squash is just starting to flower so doubt I will get any

3Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi Appway,

When do you usually get your first frost? We can get frost every month of the year, but usually not until late August. Last year we didn't have frost until the first week of September.

4Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:26 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice zuchs! I lovem but can't growem here...... Crying or Very sad 

5Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:17 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Farmer Bob they say these are our frost dates
last May 22 first September 12
But June 15th is usually the last and the first comes any time after that LOL we had a very light frost the end of July so we never know and this year is weird today the high was 14 and the low is 7 tonight
so maybe next year I will have a Garden LOL

6Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Appway, it is kind of a weird year here  as well.  It is incredibly hot for northern BC.  It has been hovering around 30 degrees for the past couple of weeks, which is not at all normal for here.  I've been here for 10 years, and this is the hottest that I have seen it.

Coopslave...how come you can't grow Zuccini in Beaverdell?  I actually grew up in Westbridge (It's a small world Very Happy ) and while we never had them in our garden growing up, I know that several other people did.  However, I think that Beaverdell is a bit higher in elevation, so perhaps the growing season is shorter?

7Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I too can't seem to grow those blasted squash. Because of it.... I am the so called "Black Sheep" of my gardening family! I remember the harvest of my Grandmother's plants.... so many zuccini the neighbours would run in horror as Grandma brought them yet another gift of the prolific squash. We ate it in soup, cakes, broiled, baked, steamed and in every other way she could imagine to prepare it. My Aunt can grow it in Calgary for pitty sake and living in BC I can't! Oh the tragedy of it all........

8Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:21 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Farmer Bob, I did answer you but I don't see it.
The zuchs are too soft for the frosts we can get at night here any time of the year. I bet I could have grown them this year, but you just never know.
The year I tried all sorts of those kind of plants we were getting one or two hard frosts each month all summer........sigh......
I actually have corn this year. WHAT! Lets see if the cobs have time to fill.

9Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:32 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We like to grill them on the BBQ.
Grab your favorite oil base salad dressing.
Cut the zucchini into pieces 1/2 inch thick.
Marinade in the oil base salad dressing.
BBQ them up!!! That's it.
I like them on the charbroiled side.
Enjoy.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

10Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Can't see why anyone can't grow them ? I planted some in the middle of June and they are producing already ? Like the BBQ idea bcboy will have to try that , normally just make a stir fry with potato wedges and Zucchini, onions , peppers ,mushrooms and a bit of butter and salt and pepper for taste .Plus we have friends who make a wonderful relish and of course zucchini bread

11Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mine are 1 inch long I dont know if I will get any this year

12Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:10 pm

? a inch only ? my first plants have been giving zucchini for well over a month now and the ones planted in the latter part of June have seven inch zucchini on them already ? if you lived closer there is lots and you could have as many as you wanted

13Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:28 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you for the offer wish I lived closer I am hoping I will at least get 1 or 2 off of mine

14Zuccini Harvest Empty Re: Zuccini Harvest Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, they surely don't like frost, which is why I used to try to grow them in the green house, as like Coopslave, we can get frost any month of the year here...but got lucky this year. I just harvested 6 that were all about 22 inches. We actually cut it up and freeze it for winter use. Right now we are gorging on stuffed Zuccini...yum...I'm going to have to try grilling on the barbecue. I do that with eggplant...so why not Zuccini...darn good idea!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum