Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The new digs

+4
CynthiaM
bckev
authenticfarm
bigrock
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The new digs Empty The new digs Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:15 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Here are the beginnings of the new house. It will have windows along the front that open hinged , door for me into the storage side, door from storage into the main coop. Nesting boxes under the windows, and roosts along the back. All the roosts are going to be the same height off the floor-less combats looking for the highest point. And dropping boards under the roosts that are removed out the back for cleaning.
Going to have ramps going up to the roosts.
Can't recall how far apart the roosts need to be from the next one? anyone?......

Dimensions of the new digs

10X18
The new digs IMG_00082_zpsb1abed11

and with a picture of the old henhouse which will serve as our broody pen when the big house is done
The new digs IMG_00722640x480_zps5dff18d9

2The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:45 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

12" apart is what I read when I was researching roost spacing. Probably more than that if you have big breeds like orps or brahmas.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:05 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

looking good

4The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:05 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh look at that, you gonna have a nice coop.  You don't need ramps to the roosts, that is a bother and gets in the way, really, you don't.  Chickens like to hop, oops, almost typed shop, smiling.   The lowest roost in my chicken barns is about 18 inches, then 18 inches to the next one, then 18 to the next one.  I have three roosts and the chickens all use the roosts to jump from one level to the next.  They like the top roost and bother each other to squeeze there.  They don't like the second or third roost down.  Give them enough room between the roosts that when they are roosting, the poop does not go on to the next roost board that is lower.  I will go and measure for you today what the space is between the roosts, but it is not too much, probably as was mentioned, could be 12 inches, but I think more than that, you don't want them pooping on the roosts.  Listen to me, though, don't put in the ramps, they will only get in the way.  Chickens like to JUMP up onto things and they will absolutely jump up onto an 18 inch board (roost), even little chicks can fly up 18 inches when they want to, no problem with that.  Save some time and effort for Hubby and you.  They could even bash into a ramp that goes from the roost to the floor, just in the way, as I said.  Remember, chickens LOVE to jump.  You're gonna have a chicken palace by the time this is complete.  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

I'll attach a picture of my roosts, although you have already seen them, but this will remind. The lower roost could be not as tall as 18", but it is sufficient. This picture was taken when they were firstly made, and oh yes, they actually were clean!

The new digs ChickenBarn1_zps8173a2d3

5The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:31 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cindy...we weren't going to make a roost that was graduated like that but instead all on the level, probably 4 feet off the ground..perhaps higher. We want them all one level so we can put the poop boards underneath...and the birds can still utilize the space under the roost when the weather is nasty.I thought ramp to get up to the roost level...but perhaps there are other ideas out there instead of ramps...Chuck loves to build a ramp!... plus, i thought if they are all on one level, they will all be on the same level Wink
I like the idea of the dropping boards, i will just pull them out the back...i just looked for the picture of the design and couldn't find it...

6The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:54 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bigrock wrote:Cindy...we weren't going to make a roost that was graduated like that but instead all on the level, probably 4 feet off the ground..perhaps higher.  We want them all one level so we can put the poop boards underneath...and the birds can still utilize the space under the roost when the weather is nasty.I thought ramp to get up to the roost level...but perhaps there are other ideas out there instead of ramps...Chuck loves to build a ramp!...  plus, i thought if they are all on one level, they will all be on the same level Wink
I like the idea of the dropping boards, i will just pull them out the back...i just looked for the picture of the design and couldn't find it...
Ok you will have to build an opening on the bottom side of the end wall.This will need a 3 or 4 ply 2x10 to be installed with a double cripple studs on either side to hold the weight of the roof. This beam will hold up the 2 center posts. Or you could pull it out the 2 side wall which would make the smaller beam, the width of the poop board and pull it out of both side to shorten the total length.
Is your poop board going to run the full length of the coop on the end wall? How tall do you want the end poop door to be?
Do you have to follow local building codes?
Did you apply for a building permit ?
Do you have to do these thing in Armstrong?
My coop is built on skids so no permit involved.
Look like you are just building it??? If so we don't have to worry about codes.

Did you want something like this?
The new digs Coop3
The new digs Poopboard
The new digs 093

Here is one from the side. If it was too long from the side you could make an opening on both ends and have the boards meet in the middle?
The new digs Heathencote%20poultry%20house%20pull%20out%20droppings%20board
With these ones you could do poop board in between the posts and pull out 2 boards.
Let me know more... I like what your doing here!!!!

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

7The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:02 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bcboy wrote:
Here is one from the side. If it was too long from the side you could make an opening on both ends and have the boards meet in the middle?
The new digs Heathencote%20poultry%20house%20pull%20out%20droppings%20board
With these ones you could do poop board in between the posts and pull out 2 boards.
Let me know more... I like what your doing here!!!!
This design could be retrofit into lots of coops with poop boards!!

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

8The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:46 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Loving this thread already as I'm pre-planning coups for spring when I move.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

9The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:58 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

bigrock wrote:, probably 4 feet off the ground..perhaps higher.

I actually like my roosts lower than that. I do mine about 3 feet. I have heavy birds and I don't want any foot problems with them jumping off the roosts. If you have them low, just make sure your nesting boxes are lower yet so they don't sleep in and soil them.

The shed looks good, I look forward to seeing it when it is finished.

10The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:18 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

The coop looks great! Smile 

BCboy, I LOVE the idea of a slider poop board. Very cool! Cool 

11The new digs Empty Re: The new digs Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:39 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Shocked BC BOY-You Da Best!

The one I saw is similar to the last pic you posted in that it was a narrow opening. The thought was to have two openings for the Poop boards. And I thought 4 ft off the ground to leave lots of headroom under the roosts?....We could figure something out for the hopping ones...Keep the comments coming...
and Thanks for the suggestions and the pics...!! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum