Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chicken Ark

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chicken Ark Empty Chicken Ark Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Chicken Ark Ark_0011

Hi everyone,  I thought I would post a pic of the Arks that I use to raise chicks with the hen.  These are a total size of 12 feet by 4 feet, with the house part being 4x4.  I lock them in at night so as not to provide any of the local wildlife with a chicken snack.  Henny Penny and her brood of 6 chicks are the happy residents of this little chicken condo! Smile

2Chicken Ark Empty Re: Chicken Ark Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:20 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nice, thanks for posting. I needs some ideas!!!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

3Chicken Ark Empty Re: Chicken Ark Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 am

GAH! Those are lovely and simple. Do you use salvaged wood and what are the dimensions if I may? They look lovely long, but I can't tell how wide.

Can you sneak a picture of your nest boxes inside? Very Happy I'm so nosy.

4Chicken Ark Empty Re: Chicken Ark Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:55 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think that is jim dandy!! A perfect place for mamma and the babes, thanks for posting the pictures, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

5Chicken Ark Empty Re: Chicken Ark Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks great! And like next years building project, hehe! Wink

6Chicken Ark Empty Re: Chicken Ark Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi Sweetened,

The Ark is 12 feet long and 4 feet wide, and 2 feet tall. I actually used tongue and groove siding for the house portion of this one, but you could easily make the house portion out of salvaged 2 x4's laid flat on top of one another. I would like to try one that way, since I have a lot of scrap wood around I could use like that. However, that would be much heavier, and harder to move around. Our little garden tractor has a hard enough time moving this one as is. I don't actually have next boxes inside, as this is purely a temporary house for a hen with chicks. For the broody hen, I simply had a 2 x4 nailed diagonally across a corner on the floor, to keep the hay and eggs in place. That appeared to work quite well, and kept the hen happy enough.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum