Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How many people feed minerals ?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How many people feed minerals ? Empty How many people feed minerals ? Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I know..i know....more questions..
My hens are spoiled i think....They are fed organic layer mash, organic scratch from left overs from a local organic mill, They get left over fruits and vegis and they get to run around my barnyard. I have grit for them and oyster shells free feed...question is..i have eggs that i think are kind of thin shelled and so was wondering if anyone feeds minerals....and if anyone knows what is deficient in the north okanagan that would cause these thin shells. Some have a crack all the way around them..not open but i can see it when i wash the eggs...

2How many people feed minerals ? Empty Re: How many people feed minerals ? Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:42 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

If your birds get all that to eat, I doubt very much they are lacking in minerals.

Instead I would investigate your laying boxes. Mine had plywood bottoms and I put shavings in. THe hens would scratch all the shavings out and then clunk, drop their egg on the plywood and break it!

Or maybe your hens scratch around in their nest box, give the egg a kick and it cracks as it hits something.

I bought some of that indoor/outdoor carpeting and put it in the bottom of the nest box, rubber side up. No more broken eggs.

Your hens sound healthy enough. How old are they? Thin shells are also sometimes more common in old chickens. But before I considered minerals, I'd check to make sure it isn't a situational problem, (kicking or clunking) rather than a health/nutritional problem.

3How many people feed minerals ? Empty Re: How many people feed minerals ? Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:39 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

my chickens are only a year old..but even when i crack them, i would think they should be thicker. i know we lack selenium up here...but don't know a whole lot about chickens

4How many people feed minerals ? Empty Re: How many people feed minerals ? Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:41 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think it is mineral related either. There are lots of minerals in them thar hills, smiling. Check the feed you buy, it should list the ingredients. Not sure about organic, as I don't feed it, but look at it, should list what is there for surely, and most feeds have extra minerals in the ingredients. Some other factor is at play here I would think. You have the bases covered with calcium, grit they get from everywhere and you supply it too, but that is not to make strong shells, that is for the grinding food thing. There may be others that chime in to give you an idea. Your chickens free range too, they should be getting so many goodies from Mother Earth and Mother Nature too, so doubt lack of minerals. I live in your area, and do not experience soft shells, so pretty sure it is not that. Hope you get to bottom of it. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

5How many people feed minerals ? Empty Re: How many people feed minerals ? Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:51 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Selenium is one of the minerals listed on the 18% layer pellets that I get from Surecrop. Check your ingredients, but doubt it is lack of selenium. I would be interested to know what the difference in ingredients between organic and non-organic layer food. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

6How many people feed minerals ? Empty Re: How many people feed minerals ? Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:26 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

One more thought...apple cider vinegar helps the body absorb calcium. You can try adding a sploosh of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water to help them metabolize the calcium they are getting.

Do NOT put ACV into a galvanized waterer, only plastic or rubber. ACV destroys the finish on metal water pails and they will forever rust after that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum