Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Overdue Eggs

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Overdue Eggs Empty Overdue Eggs Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:16 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I did another no-no and tried candling my remaining "overdue" guinea eggs. All 7 are full of chick with nice, big air cells. Couldn't see no movement, nor were any internally pipped. So I did the "float" test in a bowl of 100 degree water and still couldn't tell anything. I really don't have a good feeling about them...the last keet to hatch was over 2 days ago. Is there anything else I can do? Any way to tell if they're alive or dead? confused I'd just leave them cooking but I have more eggs coming and need the bator space...

2Overdue Eggs Empty Re: Overdue Eggs Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well at this point, why don't you crack one open at the large end, and peal away some of the shell, see what's happening. Just happened to me with some Pheasant eggs, they were all ready to pip, but they were all dead. Sad

3Overdue Eggs Empty Re: Overdue Eggs Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:18 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just finished the egg-topsy and the results were as I expected; fully formed keets, none internally pipped, all dead. Bummer. Sad

4Overdue Eggs Empty Re: Overdue Eggs Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 am

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sad That sucks, always sad when that happens.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

5Overdue Eggs Empty Re: Overdue Eggs Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:47 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now you have to figure out what you are doing wrong so you can correct it for next time. I would double check humidity.

6Overdue Eggs Empty Re: Overdue Eggs Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Indeed I do…and I think I have it figured out. The power went out (this always happens to me) for 2.5 hours during lockdown. Worried about the temp, I covered the bator with a towel. Once power was back on, I discovered I had a humidity spike of 90%, yikes! So maybe that did them in… though I did manage to hatch 5/6 BR chicks out of the same batch, but some are crosses so probably more hardy.

Anyhoo, I’m all set to try again. Smile I spent last evening recalibrating and disinfecting my equipment with 1% Virkon. This morning I loaded the bator down with 30 Ameraucana eggs (thanks again Jayme Very Happy ) and 20 from my own from my flock & Big Red. And the fun begins all over again! cyclops

Say PC, any tips for a fellow guinea hatcher? Razz I'm interested to know what you keep your humidity at? I incubated at 25-35% and hatched at 65-75%, not including the spike.

7Overdue Eggs Empty Re: Overdue Eggs Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think your humidity might be low to start. I keep mine at 50% then at lock down I increase it to 70%. I do this for all my eggs.

Goodluck with this hatch and I am glad you aret giving up.

8Overdue Eggs Empty Re: Overdue Eggs Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

And here I was worrying about having too much moisture and small air cells that the chicks couldn't pip or end up drowning from a blast of water...I've read so many horror stories where this happened and guess I was over compensating...drats. Neutral

Thanks for the advice PC. Smile You use a hovabator, right?

9Overdue Eggs Empty Re: Overdue Eggs Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

You will figure out what works for you. I have both a hova and a sportsman Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum