Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Double comb, looks like a Campine. . . . what is it?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a couple of pullets, originally from McMcMurrays, now 12 weeks old, lovely, healthy. . . unidentified and identical. They have the exact colouring of a Golden Campine, but have what looks like a double comb, i.e. like a Pea Comb, but with two rows instead of three. 
What on earth are they?? Any ideas?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sicilian Buttercup!

Cool!  Do you have pictures?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think you're right; buttercup. There really isn't anything else it could possibly be, is there? I know I should get out there and take pictures, usually at this time of year I'm out there with my camera, for sure, but it's been a brutally busy spring. I'll try and get a pic. Thanks, Sue.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would love to see pics.  Now, will you be on the hunt for a roo for those little ladies?

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had those once.  Neat birds.

They can almost fly like crows.  At the time, my birds were all fenced with 6 foot fences but I'd look out the window and the Buttercups would be walking along the henhouse roof (which was even higher).

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler, did you think they looked like Campines? Photos can be deceptive. 
Sue, no,  buttercup roo in my future.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm, Fowler, do you think they could be trained as a flying line of defense against ravens?  Razz

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf wrote: wrote:Fowler, did you think they looked like Campines? Photos can be deceptive.

I've never had Campines (yet) so I wouldn't be the best to judge.

However, from your description (Campine with double comb) I knew exactly what you were talking about.  My own birds did not look exactly like Campines but were similar.  Looking through search images, I see some variation with some birds looking more like Campines than others.  I wonder if Campines might have been crossed into some lines.

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I wonder about the genetics of the buttercup comb . . . ? Will research.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

IPF, I bred a single comb breed to a v comb last year.  The chicks developed a single comb in front with a crown comb at the back of their heads.  It wwill be interesting to see what I get this year.  I have bred the new chicks to each other and back to a V comb.  Some of them look like they are developing a buttercup comb.

The v comb breed I used was the Houdan.  Interestingly, the resulting combs look a lot like the pictures of the old style houdan.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes, I found that ref too. Looks like the genetics are far from simple - unlike pea, rose, walnut, single combs. In real life, very few traits are under the control of one or two loci, with only two or three alleles at each locus, so it's difficult to develop a  breed that breeds true for that trait. 

I suspect that that's why most of the recognised breeds have one of those four genetically simple comb types. . . .

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank-you, Fowler, for that link.  It gives me a little hope that getting the v back is not as hard as I think it will be.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

This also makes me think about why we have a v comb in the houdan now, and not the little crown I see in old pictures and in Houdans from Europe.  Perhaps a v combed breed was used to 'improve' the houdan somewhere along the way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum