Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cut Worms

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cut Worms  Empty Cut Worms Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 am

So I'm assuming that I have cut worms due to two rows of sunflowers that were all coming up who now look like little stumps ( there were holes that I dug up , but nothing ! )! Does anyone have a home made remedy that would work ? I didn't really want the sunflowers , but they came as a bonus gift after ordering from Veseys and I am a bit concerned with my other plants which are all peeking through ...Zucchini . Banana Squash ,beans etc. I don't want to kill the night crawlers though even though they are pushing my seeds up to the top ! ..............Thanks

2Cut Worms  Empty Re: Cut Worms Tue May 28, 2013 10:38 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I walk through my garden every day. If I find a plant that has been cut off, I carefully dig around it and almost always find the culprit. They do not go down far so just push the soil away gently and you will find him. I find great satisfaction from squishing them. One cutworm can go down the row. You probably have just a few. Find the most recently cut off plant and you will find him.

3Cut Worms  Empty Cut Worms Tue May 28, 2013 11:05 am

wyandotte

I haven't done it myself but a garden friend puts an empty toilet paper roll around the young plants. According to him cut worms go on top of the soil and eat the plants, if you put this kind of barricade around it and stick it in the soil it will prevent the plant from being eaten. Half a roll is enough for one plant. Do you use Diatomaceous Earth?

4Cut Worms  Empty Re: Cut Worms Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 pm

birish

We have cutworns here,they can cause a lot of damage,the best and easiest solution we found is to put a toothpick on either side of the stem,they can't curl around the plant,hence they can't cut it,we've used this for years and it has worked great.

5Cut Worms  Empty Re: Cut Worms Tue May 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Last year I put rings of 5 inch black pipe around plants , but I have seen some real big cutworms in the area ( 2 inch ) so I guess the fertile soil and such makes them grow big ? I tried looking for them along the whole row on both sides .........nothing .I thought I had heard that ash from burned wood deters them ? What I was hoping for was a home made remedy that i could just sprinkle onto the plants etc and kill the little suckers !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum