Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LOOKING FOR ewes/lambs/goats/kids at the Millet June 15 sale

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have some lawn that needs mowing. It is tough grasses and some weeds. I need something to munch it down. In the psat I have had llamas and alpacas and Im not lookng for that again. I also dont want to be dong any shearing if possible, so maybe a hairsheep or goat. NOthing too big, fairly cold weather hardy.

I will have fencing up in time for the Millet sale.

Mybe should think about just pasturing some lawnmowers for someone this summer instead.... hmmm.

People around here love the Katadin. Maybe that'd work for you?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Renegade roo has the Khatadin. I have his phone number if you are interested.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Khatadin was one of the breeds I was thinking of... that would be great.

So, what do you do with the babies? I am not a big fan of lamb. Really it is more the lawn mower aspect than the freezer aspect that I am after.... but NO SHEARING! Although I do have a thing for Icelandic...

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Get yourself some wethers and then you don't need to worry about lambs each year. You could pick up weaned lambs this summer and keep them till you run out of grass in fall then sell them to someone that wants to eat lamb. Or take them to auction.
Then no wintering issues either.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

good suggestions! I could try them out, see what I think, and then make a firm decision for next year.

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Arctic, I love lamb, and have a crazy hard time finding it. Is there a place close to you that will butcher. I would be happy to buy all you have - if it comes to me in little brown packages. I really do not have a way to pick them up live, or I would take them to butcher myself.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

hmmmmm!
More opportunities arise......

It would all be grass fed, that I can guanrantee. And we do have facilities not too far from us....

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Articsun......That's an awesome solution to your grass problems. Very Happy

No over wintering breeding stock. cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum