Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What breeds can go together

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What breeds can go together Empty What breeds can go together Sun May 29, 2011 2:21 pm

sosweetjojo

sosweetjojo

I have R.I.R's already but now in the bator i have Black australorp,jersey giants,barred rock and americanas. I have one big coop but i can divide it if these breeds can't be together. Does anyone no what would work best for my birds. Thanks Jody

2What breeds can go together Empty Re: What breeds can go together Sun May 29, 2011 5:05 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Jody if you hatch all those eggs and those babies are raised together, there won't be any fighting until they start breeding, and usually by then everyone has it figured out who is boss chick.
If the RIR's are older they will keep the younger ones in line at first. Was that your question? Can you raise them all together, yes you can. If you plan on breeding any then you will need seperate pens.

3What breeds can go together Empty Re: What breeds can go together Sun May 29, 2011 9:52 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree. I have a lot of different breeds all running around together and there are no problems. Introducing a group of young birds into the mature flock is usually fine, since the young ones are not a threat to the pecking order.

If you raise the breeds separately, then combine them when they are all adults, there will be some sorting out amongst the hens, but should be nothing too violent. But you'd probably have some really nasty (possibly deadly) fighting between the roos.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4What breeds can go together Empty Thanks Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:23 pm

sosweetjojo

sosweetjojo

Just what i was wondering about......Thanks

5What breeds can go together Empty Re: What breeds can go together Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:17 pm

I just put about forty chicks rangeing from three months old to six weeks old together and they are doing fine together .RIR's and JG's .I tried doing it when there was just a three week difference and then I had problems !As long as they have room to run then they will get along .

6What breeds can go together Empty Re: What breeds can go together Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:44 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I tried to introduce silkies last year when I had mostly standards and some bantams last year and everyone picked on the silkies except one that was really assertive (and older)
This year I am raising them together, only keeping the smaller silkies with a little bit younger standards and they all seem to accept the "weird"ones and get along good.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum