Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Infertile hatching eggs

+2
Amy
harrop'shens
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Infertile hatching eggs Empty Infertile hatching eggs Thu May 26, 2011 10:36 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

I am just wondering what buyers and sellers opinions are on infertile eggs. Recently I received some hatching eggs. When candled, 8 of the 12 were infertile. As a buyer of hatching eggs I know the risk but am disappointed. What would you do as a buyer of infertile eggs? As a seller of hatching eggs, would you want to know about the high number of infertile eggs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2Infertile hatching eggs Empty Re: Infertile hatching eggs Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

First thing I would want to know is if they are truely infertle or if they were too damaged by shipping to even start to develop. I have had terrible luck with shipped eggs this year Sad

3Infertile hatching eggs Empty Re: Infertile hatching eggs Thu May 26, 2011 10:52 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I usually try to let those I have purchased eggs from know how they developed. I have also had horrible luck with shipped eggs this year, but have also had issues with my incubators also, so not positive which is worse!! I also like to know if the eggs I have sent develope or not.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4Infertile hatching eggs Empty Re: Infertile hatching eggs Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am not sure if candling alone can determine if an egg is infertile because an embryo can be killed during shipping . As I understand it you need to break open the egg to know for sure and even then it may appear infertile because you can not see the bullseye but as PVG said the bullseye could be on the bottom of the yolk. If you see a white tiny spot on the yolk but not a bulls eye then the egg is infertile. The ring around the spot depicts a fertile egg but a small white spot is an egg which has not been fertilized. This is according to my understanding.

5Infertile hatching eggs Empty Re: Infertile hatching eggs Thu May 26, 2011 11:27 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it is very important to let the people you purchased the eggs from know they were infertile or at least not growing. If they were shipped eggs it is hard to tell if they were truley infertile or if they were damaged in transport.
Most breeders will know if there has been an issue in their flocks, some might not know, if they are only shipping eggs and not hatching their own they will only have the reports of other's to let them know how fertility is doing.
I myself had an issue with one of my breeds, I got an email from someone that purchased them from me, upon candling my own setting of the same breed I noticed the issue, so a refund was sent.
It never hurts to tell the seller that you have an issue with their eggs, it is then up to them to decide about replacement or refund. Withouth knowing they will just keep selling eggs thinking everything is ok.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6Infertile hatching eggs Empty Re: Infertile hatching eggs Thu May 26, 2011 12:06 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Thank you everyone. These eggs were delivered by a friend not shipped via Canada Post. I will crack a few open to see for the bulls eye. Crossing my fingers that the 4 remaining ones hatch Wink

7Infertile hatching eggs Empty Re: Infertile hatching eggs Fri May 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with Hidden. Communication is very important for both buyer and seller.

I recently purchased some eggs off a very nice lady that I was able to go pick up. When I candled on day 7, I was disappointed to find alot of eggs with absolutely no development. I believed them to be infertile because the eggs had not gone through the mail. I emailed her to let her know and discovered another person who had bought eggs from her had the same issue. The lady was very apologetic and immediately offered me a refund of my money or replacement eggs once she discovered what the problem was. I was impressed and would not hesitate to do business with her again. Smile

If I ever end up sell hatching eggs, I’d want to know how the person made out, whether good or bad.

Best of luck with your hatch. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum