Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sharpshooter

+3
uno
KatuskiFarms
Hillbilly
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sharpshooter Empty Sharpshooter Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is what I use when necessary, as opposed to roundup. As far as I can tell, it has the same effect, but way less expensive, and not made by the same company. Double bonus.
I use my goats as much as possible for weed control, but there are just those times that I reach for the bottle instead.

2Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:39 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hmmph. It kills everything, or just one type ( broadleaf/grasses)?

3Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:47 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Let me understand this. When you encounter a rogue burr, instead of reaching for the RoundUp, you blast it to smithereens with your 12 gauge? You really ARE a Hillbilly!

4Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There's a huge list of things it kills, but ptretty much everything.

Although I have shot, or shot at, mostly everything over the years that's moved, and not moved, I usually opt for the tiger torch when it comes to burrs!

5Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I use white vinegar cut with 1/2 water to kill things like dandelions growing through cracks in the sidewalk. I pour it on on a dry day. It has a very short residual..

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

6Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:41 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Both the goats and the geese will selectively pull weeds out of the lawn.

But for those big jobs where everything must die, I wait for a still and windless day without a chance of rain, then I suit up like I am from the CDC and selectively and carefully spray what needs to be sprayed.

7Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:45 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

In Argentina they are spraying Roundup out of airplanes and it is causing a high incidence of birth defects. Just something to think about. I know I was taught in Ag college that it is harmless...

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

8Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:12 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

SucellusFarms wrote:In Argentina they are spraying Roundup out of airplanes and it is causing a high incidence of birth defects. Just something to think about. I know I was taught in Ag college that it is harmless...

Well I'll try and find the article I read in last Western Producer. It was saying the Glysophate isn't the problem but all the surfactants etc that are added in that makes roundup soooo bad.

9Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:17 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It was the other site ( ace. Shhhh!) where when I posted one winter day our first year out here " how to kill pasture without chem?"

Well the overwhelming response was with pigs.

So I went out and got two wieners to dig me a bigger garden spot. It was soon after that when I realized they must have meant Adult Pigs. 20lb piglets don't do a bunch of damage surprisingly! Lol. But, believe it or not the only thing that grows after the pigs were there - pigweed. Humph seriously who knew?

10Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:19 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

SucellusFarms wrote:In Argentina they are spraying Roundup out of airplanes and it is causing a high incidence of birth defects. Just something to think about. I know I was taught in Ag college that it is harmless...

Monsanto plans to sue the parents of those children with birth defects (just in case there is a beneficial mutation in there somewhere).

11Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I didn't intend for this to be a diecussion on what is better than using roundup. Or in my case sharpshooter. I hate the stuff personally. I tether my goats with an 8 foot horse lead to a spare tire. When they are done clearing a 16 foot diameter, I roll the tire to the next location. And yes, the geese get a go at it too.
We have a rodeo sized sand riding ring which is constantly sprouting alders, and various other weeds. sand makes for great germinating for seeds so I've learned. Places like this are where I go for the chemicals.
My post was about trying to save a buck, and also keeping it out of monsantos pocket as well.
Now I'm going to grab my shotgun, and go weedeat the back yard.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

12Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Used in this way it would be anything but harmless to both humans and animals. Dispersal of Round up or any Herbicide, (and as Hillbilly points out there are alternatives produced by other companies) must be done according to strict protocols on order to be done properly.

If you read the label it is long and complex with specific instructions. Animals must be put away and not allowed access until the chemical is dry. Protective clothing including suit, boots, mask, gloves and eye protection for the user. Remove all the clothing and have a shower when done in case a trace is on your skin. Apply when no rain is coming so the chemical cannot be washed off before it becomes inert. Apply when there is no wind so it stays where you spray it. If I were pregnant I would never come near it and I am disgusted that all over the world it comes into contact with people completely without their knowledge.

I am horrified when I hear that Herbicides are being used contrary to proper safety protocol. These people are unwittingly causing a health hazard for all.....or perhaps they just don't care.

13Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:56 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

KatuskiFarms wrote:

Well I'll try and find the article I read in last Western Producer. It was saying the Glysophate isn't the problem but all the surfactants etc that are added in that makes roundup soooo bad.

Thank you for posting this, so many people have a knee jerk reaction to the use of chemicals that they don't become informed about what is really going on. It is about using the products properly and carefuly.
I use chemicals, specifically and carefully. That is the way they should be used if they are.

14Sharpshooter Empty Re: Sharpshooter Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:21 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My point exactly, Coopslave. I shudder when I see people buying herbicides in Canadian Tire. I know most wont read the label, just start spraying.

Here is a link to the fact sheet on Sharpshooter. As you can see its active chemical is also glyphosate. Not sure how the rest compares though.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum