Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bat Boxes?

+6
Dark Wing Duck
Fowler
Schipperkesue
Rosies
uno
Jonny Anvil
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Bat Boxes? Empty Bat Boxes? Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Everyone,

I have been tinkering with creating a few Bat Boxes for around the acreage here as we have a decent population of the helpful mosquito eaters here.
Would anyone be interested? I can make some to bring to the upcoming sales.
Planning on making them from Cedar, for longevity and staining them accordingly.

If you are interested, let me know.

Cheers.

2Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:27 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Our neighbour came and got some cast off tongue and groove cedar from us for the same purpose. Maybe research if staining them is a good idea. THe off gassing with some stains and oils makes it so bats do not want to house in the boxes. At least not while the stain is fresh, maybe after a year of weathering?

3Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Rosies

I would be!!! We have lots of bats out here but would like to attract more. Anything to help with the skeeters!!!!!

4Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm too far away to get one from you Jonny but would like to learn how to attract some to stay around my place. I see plenty flying around in summer and would love to give them some habitat. I have lots of old barn wood.

5Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

uno wrote:Our neighbour came and got some cast off tongue and groove cedar from us for the same purpose. Maybe research if staining them is a good idea. THe off gassing with some stains and oils makes it so bats do not want to house in the boxes. At least not while the stain is fresh, maybe after a year of weathering?

Hey Uno,
Excellent point, I have been doing my research on the staining, for that exact reason. Ideally as you most likely know the staining them, preferably a dark colour is to help absorb the heat from the sun, here in Alberta it's a good idea to darken them up.
If I were to bring any with me I would have some that are stained and some that are not.

Good cedar is hard to find in my neck of the woods, which are lots of pine and birch.. Razz

6Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Could you burn the wood? Char it, sort of? I can't think of the word. But that might be less offensive. It just touches the surface.

7Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Rosies wrote:I would be!!! We have lots of bats out here but would like to attract more. Anything to help with the skeeters!!!!!

Hey,
You have such a lovely place, would be honoured to help you attract more bats!

farmchiq wrote:I'm too far away to get one from you Jonny but would like to learn how to attract some to stay around my place. I see plenty flying around in summer and would love to give them some habitat. I have lots of old barn wood.

Hey,
I will send you a message Wink

And I think that Old barn wood, would be an ideal choice, especially if it is weathered, and that dark greyish colour.

8Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:17 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny, why don't you make some butterfly hibernation boxes while you are at it!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

9Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Don't give away all my ideas... lol

Were you reading my mind Sue or my emails? lol

Joking of course, I wasn't thinking of it to be honest, didn't think they were all that popular.
My aunt has one in her Garden. It's really cute. At first i thought it was a humming bird house, until I asked.

10Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:05 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just made 2 barn swallow platforms. Hoping to attract a pair. Always had them at home and now I miss them.

Swallows seem to still be down out here. I remember there was a big June chill around 1990. Lots of swallows died and they've never seemed to bounce back. Don't even see many tree swallows these days and, when I was a kid, you could get them in a birdhouse easy.

Hope these work. I want to see them dive bombing cats again. This isn;t actually mine but it's the basic idea. Used a band saw to make the funny cuts so it only looks straight from a distance but I figure the swallows won't care.

11Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love it when the swallows attack the cats! Kind of turns the tables on them, doesn't it?

Jonny, what would you charge for a wooden feeding platform for the dogs that I could hang on the chain link? You could use leftover wood and they would need to be unfinished. I have dogs that inhale their food, and i like to scatter it on a flat surface. It is just not smart to scatter it on the kennel floor. Ithe platform would be long and narrow so they don't stand on it, and with a lip to retain kibble. A larger one would be great for goats.

I will have to sketch up and scan a picture.

12Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:53 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler wrote:I just made 2 barn swallow platforms. Hoping to attract a pair. Always had them at home and now I miss them.

Swallows seem to still be down out here. I remember there was a big June chill around 1990. Lots of swallows died and they've never seemed to bounce back. Don't even see many tree swallows these days and, when I was a kid, you could get them in a birdhouse easy.

Hope these work. I want to see them dive bombing cats again. This isn;t actually mine but it's the basic idea. Used a band saw to make the funny cuts so it only looks straight from a distance but I figure the swallows won't care.

Thats what those are! Huh! I have one in a spruce tree that the previous owners had hung and always wondered what the heck it was! We've been in this place for almost 10 years and have never seen anything use it. Maybe because there isn't any barn swallows around here. We have alot of tree swallows around here though!

13Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I guess things like robins will use them too. Mine are going up high on buildings for the swallows.

14Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Schipperkesue wrote:I love it when the swallows attack the cats! Kind of turns the tables on them, doesn't it?

Jonny, what would you charge for a wooden feeding platform for the dogs that I could hang on the chain link? You could use leftover wood and they would need to be unfinished. I have dogs that inhale their food, and i like to scatter it on a flat surface. It is just not smart to scatter it on the kennel floor. Ithe platform would be long and narrow so they don't stand on it, and with a lip to retain kibble. A larger one would be great for goats.

Not Sure what I would charge,

Send me your ideas, we can talk it over, look at materials and discuss a fee.

15Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just stain the outside front wall of the bat boxes. Keep then mounted on a south facing wall of course, for optimum sun exposure. Ive got a few here I made years ago. Anything to attract bug eating predators to save the horses from those blood suckers! Our green swallow population is crazy here, and I prefer them over the barn swallows as they nest in houses and contain their own messes. I keep building more houses for them every year.

16Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:17 pm

I dont even think we have bats in the area or i'd be super interested.

17Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That's cuz you don't have a bat box for them to sleep in!

18Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I love it when the swallows attack the cats! Kind of turns the tables on them, doesn't it?

Sue why don't you get a length of vinyl eavesthroughing. Cap both ends and you would have a nice trough for them to eat out of
Geri

19Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon wrote:

Sue why don't you get a length of vinyl eavesthroughing. Cap both ends and you would have a nice trough for them to eat out of
Geri

Hmm!!!! Would work for goats but would the Schips chew it apart? Must think....

20Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Rasilon wrote:

Geri

Get the galvanized one then
Geri

Hmm!!!! Would work for goats but would the Schips chew it apart? Must think....

21Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:53 pm

chicken crack

chicken crack

Great idea about bat houses. We've been thinking about that for a couple of years and just don't get around to it. If I have a bit of money at the next sale I would buy one!

22Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:06 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny, have you also seen the bat houses that are made of carpet hung on dowels? I wonder in an Albertan winter if the pile and loop of carpet wouldn't add a slight insulating quality and provide more footing for the bats to grab on to?

Maybe a hybrid bat house, cedar siding and wall to wall shag carpet. The Bat Cave!

23Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:03 am

Rosies

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Found a link for house that houses 300 bats and there is also one on there for 100 bats. Its cool at our place when we are out doing chores or even sitting around the fire at night you can 100s of these little guys flying all over eating up the mosquitoes!!! Freaked me out at first til I found out they were eating mosquitoes!!!! So bring on the bats!!!

24Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Little brown bats are the most common in canada, and can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes per hour. I still can't understand why people don't like them!

25Bat Boxes? Empty Re: Bat Boxes? Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly wrote:Little brown bats are the most common in canada, and can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes per hour. I still can't understand why people don't like them!

I guess I've never actually tried mosquitoes...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum