Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

when is it going to end

+5
auntieevil
authenticfarm
appway
Prairie Chick
Rasilon
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1when is it going to end Empty when is it going to end Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well its going down to -21 tonight. More snow coming on the weekend. Is there any point in starting seeds? Losing hope for a planting season. Guess I can grow things in planters. Last year it ws wet for longer than usual and our gardens got in late. This year we don't even have the soil exposed yet. Still a few feet of snow on the garden. Sad

2when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:11 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am feeling the same way, why bother if a person can't plant until July

3when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Same here
I put my seeds away all I think I will get grown this year is Leaf Lettuce and maybe Radish's

4when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 am

I grow all short season varieties, so I guess we'll see just how short our season is Smile

I must say I agree though, I have onions, garlic and kale in that's hidden under 9 ft snow drifts

5when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sweetened wrote:I grow all short season varieties, so I guess we'll see just how short our season is Smile

I must say I agree though, I have onions, garlic and kale in that's hidden under 9 ft snow drifts

Kale?

6when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

Rasilon wrote:
Sweetened wrote:I grow all short season varieties, so I guess we'll see just how short our season is Smile

Kale?

I overwintered some seeds!

7when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Meh, I never put anything in the ground until June anyway. I am pretty sure the snow will be gone by then.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

8when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 am

authenticfarm wrote:Meh, I never put anything in the ground until June anyway. I am pretty sure the snow will be gone by then.

If there's still piles, I'll be shoveling them smaller so they melt quicker Very Happy

9when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:28 am

Normally planted on the May long weekend ,but last year it was June and the second week of June before I planted the garden ? Never had a better garden ? water melons for the first time in years ! My mother always planted after the new moon in June and her garden always ,and I mean ALWAYS surpassed everyones ? So I'm not that worried ......Yet !

10when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:20 am

So the forcast went from 10-15 cm by the weekend on monday to 35cm by end of day sunday.

11when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sweetened wrote:So the forcast went from 10-15 cm by the weekend on monday to 35cm by end of day sunday.

More snow here on the weekend

12when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I thought this was a family site, and you are throwing around that four letter S word like no one's business!
Much prefer Sunshine to S-NO-W...
This year we hope to put in some hoop houses. At least they extend the growing season somewhat.

13when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 am

I heard that the temps will be in the single digets by the weekend ,Rain with a "" chance "" of snow so here's hopeing !

14when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 am

birish

9 foot snow banks,I guess we're lucky ,the garlic is only under 4 feet of snow now.Started 10 varieties of toms.yesterday,used to put bedding plants out May long but have moved back about 10 days due to unsettled weather most years.We have lettuce and spinach that reseeds every so they start when conditions are favourable.

15when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

They're calling for rain and then rain and snow here today.

I hope the rain melts a lot of the existing snow.

16when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:18 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Some pretty interesting gardening info in a thread about snow piles!

17when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon wrote:
Sweetened wrote:So the forcast went from 10-15 cm by the weekend on monday to 35cm by end of day sunday.

More snow here on the weekend

Here too...

Sad Sad Sad

18when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 am

I'm so excited. The Matterhorn has grown in size and I have 3 new 6ft snow drifts as of 8:30 am this morning. I'm not quite sure what I would do with myself if I didn't have to dig my way into my coop! I... I... *Cry*

When I woke up at 3:30 I checked my weather app. they had reduced the snowfall to 1cm today with 10mm rain, tomorrow still clear and Saturday Sunday together was at 10cm. By 7am, we were back up to Saturday Sunday bringing 30cm of snow and high wind.

Im soooo fed up

19when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:04 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh boy, I do know how you all feel. We still have 3 feet on the roof no less.
I grew up in kelowna, bc, and 13 years of North Alberta winters and I'm still not used to it. By February I am a basket case.

Think this way, this is our LAST chance to get everything ready for busy spring and summer! It seems that when it finially warms up we hit the ground running, because it changes season so fast on the prairies. This is Mother Nature saying " Final Warning! Spring is coming!"
Keep optimistic. So, what to do while waiting?

-Sharpen all gardening tools that carve dirt. Hoes, shovels, etc
-Grease all equipment that will need it
- Oil changes can be done now. Lawn mowers, tractors, rototillers
- start seeds
- clean and organize out-buildings
-clean and organize house
- brush the dog (lol)
- trim chicken nails, de-worm chickens, dust chickens

Hmm, what else can we do while we wait?

20when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Small projects - build brooder boxes, nest boxes, etc.

PLANNING. Make spreadsheets and budgets.

21when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Still disappointed not to see any tunneling efforts.

22when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 am

Schipperkesue wrote:Still disappointed not to see any tunneling efforts.

LOL.

I tried to tunnel down to earth, however the snow underneath the hardpack is very powder and collapses in quick. The hard pack isn't so hard with the on and off melting and puppies walking on top. Next year... next year.

23when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

authenticfarm wrote:Small projects - build brooder boxes, nest boxes, etc.

PLANNING. Make spreadsheets and budgets.

Oh yeah? Got a picture of a home-made brooder box? I was going to make one but ran out if time. 60 chicks hatched and nowhere to put them. I always used a paddling-pool, but forgot it was ruined the day my kids used it as a toboggan! Arghhh!
So, luckily I got a vintage bathtub off kijiji free. It was supposed to be for my ducks this spring, but now in my basement as a brooder. Works good

24when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:28 pm

It's 1 degree, white out, but raining.... How.. Is this the apocalypse?

25when is it going to end Empty Re: when is it going to end Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened when do you normally have all snow melted by? For me, because we live on northern slope have snow in shady areas till May 8 last two springs !!!!!! Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum