Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poll: Question about reading habits

5 posters

Do you read local news papers/flyers

Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_lcap5%Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_rcap 5% [ 1 ]
Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_lcap0%Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_lcap5%Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_rcap 5% [ 1 ]
Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_lcap32%Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_rcap 32% [ 6 ]
Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_lcap42%Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_rcap 42% [ 8 ]
Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_lcap16%Poll: Question about reading habits Vote_rcap 16% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Poll: Question about reading habits Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:24 pm

I know, not chicken related, sorry, but small community related. I'm considering starting a local, edgy newspaper So I'm interested to hear from you.

Would you be interested in a local newspaper covering local issues, uninhibited by the mainstream news (like fowler's post, showing both sides of the truth for the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me), organic and sustainable practices, local artwork and/or photography and/or literature and so on?

Thanks.

2Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:11 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Our community has a small paper serving two communities and I am shocked by the number of people who DON'T read the local paper. Their comment is there's never anything good in it. What's good? There is information that if you're not looking, you miss it.

There is also another small, free local publication that is read by the coffee crown in local coffee joints, but I don't think anyone is making a living with it.

I admire, applaud and encourage your endeavour, hope that you have a more involved and interested readership than we have here.

Didn't answer your poll as I wasn't sure how to. What answers were correct and applicable.

3Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love the 1 page two sided from home papers. I'm not sure what you would call that kind of publication but they have that something that the masses don't. It's a fresh perspective !!

Everytime I am in Kelowna there is this paper that is put just about everywhere and it has some neat facts and different articles.

I say do it! Be that voice, give them something to think about.

I too didn't answer the poll because I wasn't sure what to put down.

4Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think an e-newspaper would be the best way to do this. Print media is dead; not the right era to be getting into the printed news business!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:39 am

Thanks everyone.

As someone in the digital industry, it crossed my mind to run an e version of the newspaper as well, however I assure you the paper industry is far from dead. Most large newspapers that have gone under or are going under are doing so due to lack of marketing.

We're talking about 2 or 3 generations stuck in the digital age who, sadly, don't get that there's more out there. You're in an era where the school system is considering removing hand writing altogether and replacing signatures with thumb prints. Some people are alright with this, I am not. I work on digital billboards, loading their advertising and whatnot and I can tell you from discussions, static advertising is more effective for the general driving public and wood and paper billboards cheaper and more reliable, there really is no downtime for those.

I may give it a go yet. I was also considering people who are not 'local' could pay a small yearly subscription fee and have it mailed out. It will touch on topics that will be terribly controversial in the big ag belt, but I think there's enough people on the fence to keep it going. It also won't appear in the first issue or two Razz

6Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:19 am

I read every night ,buy mostly older reading material ,have had many subscriptions in the past.... to many magazines ,but it got to costly .We do have a small town subscription paper here that is free ? but I find it more or less very controled in content ? Also have the local paper that I read from time to time ,but again I read more for my interest's then a general view ? if that makes sense ??

7Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 am

prairie dog wrote:We do have a small town subscription paper here that is free ? but I find it more or less very controled in content ?

Makes sense. This is what I want to avoid. I want to open it up to people to submit articles, have standard columns and so on, but also contain content that pertains to a different crowd or curious party, if that makes sense. I want it to be more local than, say, Regina and Saskatoon's papers, but more substance than the coffee readers; I want it to be more edgy and controversial than the standard read without being a tabloid and repulsing all of its readers. I want it to wake people up, instead of helping them cover their eyes. Fine line to walk, for sure.

This would be free in the local zone, paid for by advertiser subscription.

8Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have you considered a blog, Sweetened? You could provide links and have guest writers.

9Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:59 am

Schipperkesue wrote:Have you considered a blog, Sweetened? You could provide links and have guest writers.

I fail at blogs. And I plan on making money off this -- I still haven't figured how you make money off a blog.

10Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:Have you considered a blog, Sweetened? You could provide links and have guest writers.

I fail at blogs. And I plan on making money off this -- I still haven't figured how you make money off a blog.

Talk to Arctic. She knows how to make money off blogs.

You entrepreneur, you!

11Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You could call it "Sweetened-Sour".

12Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am

Schipperkesue wrote:You could call it "Sweetened-Sour".
LOLOLOLOL

How perfect.

13Poll: Question about reading habits Empty Re: Poll: Question about reading habits Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:03 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have a local newspaper as well as this online one. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I am surprised at how well read it is, I only found it by accident.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum