Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Empty cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 am

niglefritz

Our supposed cuckoo marans more closely matches the description of the NHB, but they are supposedly rare outside of their native country. Our hen laid large eggs from the time she started to lay until the cold came. She never missed a day and even seemed to double up some days.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any connection there? Thoughts?

2cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Empty Re: cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:02 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

One diffeence would be egg color.

3cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Empty . Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 am

niglefritz

She always lays light brown eggs, sometimes speckled, but never have they been dark...not even at the beginning of her lay her first year. They are what you might expect to see out of an ISA.

4cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Empty Re: cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:54 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cuckoo marans, particularly hatchery lines, tend to lay a lighter brown egg then black copper or wheaten marans Smile I'd be really surprised if it was something so rare! But hey you never know.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

5cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Empty Re: cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 am

niglefritz

That is what I thought, but finding that bit on the NHB made me wonder just the same. I knew that it would be strange to have something so rare, and the guy who had these did claim that she was a cuckoo marans, but we all know that what someone says isn't always the case. People say all kinds of things. We wondered if she was a cross of some sort...she and the others didn't fully add up to what I had read that Marans were...egg color and rate of lay being the biggest things. I think, though, that if he had thought that he had the NHB, he would have said so and charged WAY more.

I will consider her to still be a Marans, just not of a good line, then. I had already accepted that. We certainly enjoy her calm demeanour and her generosity in lay. As a regular egg layer, she has been good, and she has come through the winter so far with no problems. She has been spectacular!

A hatchery line would explain a lot. There are often crosses/compromise found in hatchery stock, correct?

I am certainly looking forward to getting some Marans from good lines. I will be getting some from a member here, and she got the eggs from Dan. We are getting her extras. Very Happy I love what I have seen of Dan's stock! cheers

Thanks for all your opinions! Smile

6cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Empty Re: cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:31 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I curious what colour her legs are.

7cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Empty Re: cuckoo marans vs. new holland blue Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:03 am

niglefritz

My daughter says very light pink, almost white, and she is clean legged. We haven't checked skin color. She went out to check both. She says her skin is how she described it before and her skin is white.

I found this bit of info too.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I find it interesting that in Britain, they want the NHB feather legged and the cuckoo marans clean, when in both places of origin, it is opposite. That makes me think it would just cause more confusion. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum