Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Well that's a surprise! The good and the bad

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Giddyup

Giddyup

So my ducks' nest was a complete failure for many reasons. Near the end I collected the eggs that they continually rolled out and put them in the bator. They were cold for an entire day. I candled before putting them in and at least 3 of them were moving. I expected them to be late (due date last saturday). Nothing has been happening so I gave up. It's Tuesday afternoon and I was about to clear about the bator and get ready for the next batch. I see a broken shell. I think to myself that I was darn sure I cleared out any shells when the duck eggs went in...I just didn't have enough time to "clean".
Sure enough there is one lonely very wet duckling. It's very tired, even for a new hatchling so I hope it does pull through with everything those eggs have been subjected to.
The bad news...one chick from my last batch is not doing well. I've been checking them visually and all was well until this one was off to the side. Picked it up and it is waaay too light. I'll try making mash and feeding it but I'm not hopeful. I think the right thing to do is cull but don't have sharp enough tools. Ack!!
So cross your fingers for little ducky! I'll try to leave him be until he dries, what's meant to be will be. But perhaps I'll candle the others tonight to see if there is movement before tossing them???? Close call!!!! affraid

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum