Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poultry Show Win, a nice reward!

+7
bcboy
mirycreek
KathyS
Schipperkesue
appway
authenticfarm
Jonny Anvil
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Everyone,

Well I guess Sue can't be the only one to brag Very Happy after all she has some spectacular birds...

Congrats to all the winners at the NCAPA show, there was some incredibly nice quality birds on show, and everyone should be proud of the efforts they have put into their birds.

For me I am on cloud 9, very pleased and still taken back by the placing of one of my Light Sussex Pullets at the NCAPA show this weekend & Winning Best Turkey, with a Ridley Bronze Tom!
This is my first ever big win!! I have gotten many BV (best of variety) before with showing my Black orps, but never a (BB) Best of breed, let alone a win like I got this weekend with my Light Sussex. Champion Large Fowl is an honour I am pleased to have been awarded with for a great hen!

My Ridley Bronze Tom, Best Turkey!! This was a huge win for me as I have never placed Best Turkey before but have taken Reserve Champion with a Nag Tom at a CHB Show in 2012.
I was wrong on his age at the show when I was talking to others, he was hatched May 2012!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My Graceful Gal.....a Light Sussex Pullet, Named Betty White~ pic taken right after coop in!

As the judging went on, and the day came to a close Saturday, I snapped a pic of the coop tag before heading out for a bite to eat and then home!

Sunday, my 29th Birthday, I arrive back at the show, cupcakes in hand and after straggling around I noticed that a ribbon had been placed on my Sussex cage, as I walked up to It I saw a wonderful glass award for her placement of Champion Large Chicken!

My up and comer Light Sussex Cockerel, also placed well RV & RB He is rather young a late 2012 hatch but has lots of promise a head of him.

All in all it was a great weekend and I am very very pleased with this accolade.

2Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Pretty birds, Johnny

3Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:22 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congratulations Jonny! I really like the looks of the Light Sussex.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:40 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Been waiting for you to post about your wins so I could Congratulate on them

So Congratulations on winning at the show they are some nice looking Fowl
and that was a nice Bday gift for you

Joe

5Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would be very disappointed if I didn't see a post from you Jonny! You deserve most hearty congratulations!

6Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congratts Congratts Congratts

A top award like this is something we all strive for and it couldn't happen to nicer or more deserving guy! Your hen is just stunning! she sets the bar for Light Sussex breeders!

Oh almost forgot, I love your turkey too... Turkey

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

7Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Thanks Everyone....

For me it is really rewarding, I found out that the Light Sussex was a breed of chickens my family brought to Alberta with them when they homesteaded Sturgeon county in 1893.

120 years later, I can say that I have some top notch Light Sussex that would make my ancestors very proud, it was my grandfather who asked my father, tsamis and I to raise a flock, as a last wish, as he raised them and grew up with the breed as a child. He would tell us stories of how my Great grandmother would buy hundreds of LS chicks for 5 cents each in the spring, and sell them for 25 cents in the fall, this goes back to the 1930's-40s.

After doing some searching, I found out that the Samis family has been breeding Sussex for generations, just skipped a few decades with my Clan as we left the farm for the city, but we're back and so are some amazing Sussex!!

For me, this is very rewarding.

8Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

KathyS wrote: Congratts Congratts Congratts

A top award like this is something we all strive for and it couldn't happen to nicer or more deserving guy! Your hen is just stunning! she sets the bar for Light Sussex breeders!

Oh almost forgot, I love your turkey too... Turkey

Thank you Kathy, gonna make me blush!! Embarassed

Thank you for the new Orps... LOVE THEM...with all the attention on my Sussex, I have not forgotten about my main breed, my orps. I had a good chance to look them over, and they have gotten the seal of approval, Jonny's Seal!

Also Thank you so much for the Birthday Card! That meant a lot to me, I put it up on my mantel with my other cards.. I had a great time at the show, you made my birthday that much more special. You are a great friend!

9Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:38 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

so nice to hear!
And looks like she even laid an egg for you at the show!
congrats to everyone Very Happy

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

10Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Yes she is laying well,

Funny thing is someone either discarded that egg for me or they stole that egg on Sunday. I hope they incubate it as it's a dud. She wasn't fertile yet. Wink
I actually breed her when she got home!

11Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congratulations Jonny, those are some of the nicest looking Light Sussex I have seen. I also have Light Sussex but they are just pipping out of their shells today. I can only hope to have bird that are in your class.

If you don't mind me asking where does your line come from?
Jonny you worked hard for this as seen in how you take care of your aminals and how you help other with theirs.
Enjoy this memory, it will last forever.

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

12Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I "think" show rules are that the eggs laid at show are collected and disposed of, seems funny when they should be your property but i think it is to discourage people "stealing" your genetics?
Hope you hatch some really nice chicks from her Jonny!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

13Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

mirycreek wrote:I "think" show rules are that the eggs laid at show are collected and disposed of, seems funny when they should be your property but i think it is to discourage people "stealing" your genetics?
Hope you hatch some really nice chicks from her Jonny!

Personally I like to collect the eggs that my hens lay at the show and give them to the kids that are in attendance, if they want to take them home and incubate them or just walk around with an egg. Usually makes them smile....otherwise I collect them and discard of them myself.

Not really worried if someone steals my genetics, but I would rather share the genetics with someone, then have it taken from me.

14Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

bcboy wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Congratulations Jonny, those are some of the nicest looking Light Sussex I have seen. I also have Light Sussex but they are just pipping out of their shells today. I can only hope to have bird that are in your class.

If you don't mind me asking where does your line come from?
Jonny you worked hard for this as seen in how you take care of your aminals and how you help other with theirs.
Enjoy this memory, it will last forever.

Hey,

Don't mind you asking, would actually like to give credit to a few people.

Our Original Lines of Light Sussex came from the University of Alberta. We breed them out, and kept back the better quality birds, we almost completely abandoned this line as they were of poor quality and nothing like the Light Sussex should be. We did keep a small flock of this line back, as we knew that we would be further investing and breeding out later on. Focus switched to other breeds. but keep breeding them out eventually incorporating the lines we had to work with.

We then acquired some new linage from Heidi Shuster of Greenfire Farms, brought in some amazing Coronation Sussex, mixed the lines with some Light Sussex Roosters from Coopslave. Breed them and hatched out a fair bit, I also incorporated the other line from the University of Alberta into my breedings. After a few hatches. I cross breed back and forth and started selecting for size and type.
Over all the lines have been mixed and breed out, but I give Coopslave and Heidi credit for helping me get the birds I was after to improve my lines to get where I am at.

I have a huge task of maintaing the quality and vigour of my lines we have now.

I will have a few select birds available this fall.

15Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nice work! Your dedication and hard work has paid off. Really nice hen. I find the "light" sussex offspring of the "split" (to coronation) seem to be even better then the original light sussex parents. I was so impressed with the pullets I got out of my split girls last year. Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

16Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny Anvil wrote:Thanks Everyone....
For me it is really rewarding, I found out that the Light Sussex was a breed of chickens my family brought to Alberta with them when they homesteaded Sturgeon county in 1893.
120 years later, I can say that I have some top notch Light Sussex that would make my ancestors very proud, it was my grandfather who asked my father, tsamis and I to raise a flock, as a last wish, as he raised them and grew up with the breed as a child. He would tell us stories of how my Great grandmother would buy hundreds of LS chicks for 5 cents each in the spring, and sell them for 25 cents in the fall, this goes back to the 1930's-40s.
After doing some searching, I found out that the Samis family has been breeding Sussex for generations, just skipped a few decades with my Clan as we left the farm for the city, but we're back and so are some amazing Sussex!!
For me, this is very rewarding.

Well, if that isn't just darn nice, and Betty White is indeed a most beautiful gal. There are some breeds that strike my fancy, and the light and cornonation sussex are on that list. She is a beauty, and ya, lovely that she gave an egg. Congratulations on the awards, sure does make ya feel good, now don't it?

I have been to Heidi's place many times and have marveled at the size of the light and cornation sussex that she has. You have some lines lineage to be working with. Yay for you. And that beautiful piece about your Grandfather's wish, to carry on with the breed, isn't that even a bigger thing of beauty, and that you and tsamis are working on this together. Says something doesn't it, about the dual purpose bird, your Great Grandmother had a massive bird for the table and egg production too. That was very pleasing to hear of this family history. I am a very family oriented gal, especially with pride of what our ancestors did.

Just for interest sake. If you don't know, you should find out, where your ancestors brought those light sussex from. Where did they originate. This might be just a bit of interesting family history for you to know (and I would love to hear all about it to Jonny). Family stuff is so darn cool. And going back 120 years, well even more coool!! Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.1

17Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congratulations Jonny! You must be thrilled!
It feels good to know you are going in the right direction, doesn't it?

18Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Empty Re: Poultry Show Win, a nice reward! Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am

Mel

Congrats Jonny! You're Sussex hen was to die for!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum