Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good Show on PBS station tonight

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Good Show on PBS station tonight Empty Good Show on PBS station tonight Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:16 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Watched a really good show on PBS this evening called "The DustBowl" about the 1930's drought in the midwest states. Really good photograhy and very interesting to see how man's need for cultivating more and more land and stripping it completely of the native grasses contributed to the problems and how the eco-systems were so upset for animals and some of man's solutions to the lack of grazing grasses for the animals. If you like history you will like this one.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

2Good Show on PBS station tonight Empty Re: Good Show on PBS station tonight Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like a show called "The Drylanders", but you'll have to get around that it is so old it was shot in black and white. It shows the conditions in Saskatchewan in the 1930's. One of the actors grew up across from where I grew up in Lethbridge so it has a bit of a personal connection. My mother's family spent the first half of the '30's living in Saskatchewan and were just another family that left to find a new place to live in BC.

3Good Show on PBS station tonight Empty Re: Good Show on PBS station tonight Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:58 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The footage on this one all black and white expect for the first person accounts from people who lived as youngster during that time.

Heather

4Good Show on PBS station tonight Empty Re: Good Show on PBS station tonight Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:27 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am just watching it right now viczoe. I am not one for documentries but this one is very well put together. My maternal grandmother lived in Southern Saskatchewan in the 30s and she used to tell stories. She was always thankful for the assistance they got, boxes of apples etc, but her memories were nothing compared to the extent of the situation down in Oklahoma etc. My grandmas attitude was much like these people, work hard, be as self reliant and you can, don't complain, waste nothing, and try to be thankful for what you have.

Last edited by poplar girl on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

5Good Show on PBS station tonight Empty Re: Good Show on PBS station tonight Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am watching it, this is part 2 I think. While I do like history I am usually not one to sit watch endless T.V on it but as you said this one is very well put together. It would have been a horrible time to live though and the things the poor children of the era saw enough to make you cry and some of the children now seniors were brought to tears talking about it.

Heather

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum