Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rat free AB....NOT!

+3
Schipperkesue
k.r.l
coopslave
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Rat free AB....NOT! Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:37 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok, if you guys are rat free, why did they have to get exterminators in to get rid of a rat infestation at a dump? I read it in the Western Producer. I think they said it was very close to Medicine Hat.

Rat free, I say HA! Laughing

2Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Re: Rat free AB....NOT! Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:20 am

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Coop Slave I believe the infestation of Rats came in with a shipment of stuff.
The government wouldn't bother to get rid of the rats that were found in that dump if Alberta had a rat population.
I have lived in alberta all my life and have visited many farms and have yet to see a rat or evidence of one.

There have been many reports of 'rats' in Alberta but they are almost always mistaken viewings of the Muskrat.
I am not saying it isn't possible for Alberta to have rats, but farmers and the government do what they can to prevent rats in Alberta.

3Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Re: Rat free AB....NOT! Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

What's this, Coopslave? Sour grapes? Have you just been waiting in your rat infested province to poke us Albertan's with a stick? Well, line up with the rest of Canada! We all know you want , in your wet coast hearts, to be just like us!

Alberta Rules! Razz

4Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Re: Rat free AB....NOT! Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:44 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I lived in Alberta and can tell you that like the rest of the world there are rats in Alberta. Alberta has maintained a program to get rid of the four legged variety. Getting rid of the two legged is impossible no matter where you live in the world. Fortunately Alberta has an abundance of people who are quiter the opposite.

5Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Re: Rat free AB....NOT! Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:I lived in Alberta and can tell you that like the rest of the world there are rats in Alberta. Alberta has maintained a program to get rid of the four legged variety. Getting rid of the two legged is impossible no matter where you live in the world. Fortunately Alberta has an abundance of people who are quiter the opposite.

Zzzzing! ........ Ouch! My knuckles hurt!

6Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Re: Rat free AB....NOT! Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:43 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Old news!! Why is the Producer so far behind? Sheesh.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

7Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Re: Rat free AB....NOT! Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:56 pm

I've lived in BC my entire close-to-half-a-century life and have only seen rats once and that was under a wharf in north Vancouver.

Just saying....I'm sure we have them all over....so maybe Alberta does too. Twisted Evil

I'm with Coopslave. Razz

8Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Re: Rat free AB....NOT! Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:27 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have lived in BC more than 10 years longer than you Farmchiq tongue . I am quite a bit older, smiling, so I can up you on this. How many years of these years have you lived in farming community-type environment. not all I bet, weren't you city girly girl once upon a time Cool . Teasing, seems to be a morning for getting a little teasing done, lightens up the air, smiling again.

All my life that I have lived and can remember stuff about rats in the Lower Mainland, the Sunshine Coast, the Fraser Valley area too, there are rats. Big frickin' rats. Lots of big freaky rats, everywhere.

So for anyone to say that certain parts of BC are rat free, maybe, maybe not. In the Okanagan in our new life, I haven't yet to see a rat. Evidently there are no rats in these dryer climate areas, but I doubt it. I bet there are rats SOMEWHERE around here. I only see mice. And I really do know what a rat looks like.

Back in Maple Ridge we had four box stalls, which held four horses. Cement floors which we had poured cement for, so not earthen. Old structures that had new cement floors, nice. Anyways. Each horse stall had the typical door of a barn. Liken to a piece of wood cut horizontally in half with the top that swings and the bottoms that swings, so the door can be half door or full door to close the door. Smiling. Pretty common eh? I just like to describe and it probably made others conjure up something other than something that it was...The horses would put their heads in their feed buckets in the box stall. Then stick their heads out the door to look out while they chewed on the grain. You could see the rats all line up below the doors. Where they had made tunnels, obviously below the cement floors. Their stupid heads would poke out, grab some of the grain that had fallen to the ground, I think horses are sloppy eaters, go backwards into their hidey hole and then repeat the process. I got fed up with feeding so many rats, that I got out the big guns and performed extermination and was pretty much rat free for years. Until the neighbour moved in that had more horses, llamas and chickens. Yes....she did not practice rat control and I had to begin all over. I again was rat free, but I am sure that since we moved away, that the rat population again exploded on our old farm. I freakin' hate rats and I feel much the same about mice. Mess, crap, pee, everywhere and tell me, who in the blazes needs that. I am vigilent here about mice control and am on top of it much earlier than I was last winter and feel that I am almost there with mice control. Not catching many in the traps now....death traps, instant death traps. Last year I can remember it was freezing cold before I began to work hard to work hard to rid mice. I am months ahead of last year and soon won't have pee or poop of that species covering my stuff in my chicken houses. Blah....ya....I have had lots of experience with rat BC, and there are lots, not just on the waterfront of Vancouver. Blah. Did I ever mention that I cannot stand rats, particularly those freakin' huge water rats that are so big on the shores of the inlet??? Great topic, did we stray off? Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

9Rat free AB....NOT! Empty Re: Rat free AB....NOT! Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:54 pm

barnyardcritters Jr.

barnyardcritters Jr.

Blah, Blah. Not to Cynthia, the other two(can't see your post when writing this nor can I remember who you are). Just jealous of our comfortable living without all those Templetons. Although the HUGE nest they took apart had no living rats in it so maybe the extermination process has worked and they're mostly gone.

http://www.freewebs.com/barnyardcritters

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum