Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Went to the CHB annual general meeting today

+6
KathyS
Piet
Arcticsun
poplar girl
Hidden River
Schipperkesue
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

And where were the rest of our 100 some members? We elected some new executives, discussed important events, gave input into club dealings, displays and shows, got some important information on present and future events. A club is only as strong as its members contributions.

If you couldn't make it today, please contact the club and find out how you can contribute. The show is coming up and volunteers are needed in all areas. If you have a weekend, a day or even an hour you can spare, please let the club know!

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

The problem is distance. I like the club, I like what they are doing, and I would love to help out. But I cannot jump in a vehicle on Thanksgiving weekend, drive 6 hours to go to a 1 hour meeting...
Hope everyone that did attend had a good time and some great people got voted in to the various positions.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Agreed! If you want to see changes talk to the executive. One of the messages today was that they recognize that it is the membership that makes a club function.

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My sentiments match Hidden River's (my drive is only 5 hours each way). I look forward to the minutes from the meeting.

I would be happy to help out at the Urban Farm Show in November. Let me know what needs doing...I enjoy feeding, watering and sweeping if that helps.

Other events I am sorry to say I don't even know most of the other events CHB participates in. I am out of touch and not certain how with physical distance as a factor I can get more involved.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Talk to an exec, PG. I am sure more people would have your interest if they knew what was going on and how they could get involved.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am very VERY glad to see Jonny and Karebear on the board of directors!
I know that they will be a great injection of fresh energy, new ideas, and open mindedness to the board.

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The clubs news is run through this forum and unless you log into the forum you don't know what the heck is going on. I have paid membership via paypal and have never received any confirmation or email about anything. So, if you need "members" to step in, then you should first recognize them as part of the club.
I should be a two way street, huh.
Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

ABSOLUTELY!, Peit. I could not agree more.

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

It sounded as if there was a good turn-out (14 members?). I think that is pretty good attendance for such wide-spread membership, and on the Thanksgiving long weekend especially. Its wonderful that some new members stepped up to the plate and took on key positions. Thank You
Since this group is promoting all heritage livestock breeds, I wonder if there is representation on the board from those specializing in sheep, cattle, pigs etc?

I think its important to recognize that people have different reasons for not wishing to be on the board of directors. Its very easy to become too involved in too many different organizations and spread yourself too thin. Everything the kids are in requires parent time and commitments - sports, guides, 4-H etc, then there is community associations, church committees, the list goes on and on. When there is simply not enough of you to go around and your family time suffers and you experience major burn-out...well you learn how to say no and pace yourself! Been there!!
Anyway there are other ways to support the group without being on the board, and that includes donating your time at functions, promoting the club through your own personal contacts, donating to silent auctions and other fundraisers, becoming a member, since the membership fee is also a form of financial support.
I realize this is still a new organization, and still feeling their way a bit, but Piet's point is a good one. Also, it's important that contributions are acknowledged and all members are made to feel appreciated, and to feel that they have received something back for becoming a member.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Actually out of the 14 whom turned out, only 5 were CHB members and the rest were board members. The current membership is somewhere around 100. So it really wasn't a good turn out. However, I do agree that it isn't always easy to make plans to attend. Frankly, thought the Thanksgiving Day weekend was not the best time to have the AGM. I do understand that the AGM needs to be held before the 15th of October of each year and that they try to hold it as close to that date as possible. However, maybe next year's AGM can be planned to take into consideration that Thanksgiving weekend isn't really the best time to do it.

I also have to agree with what others have said in regards to membership. I know the first time I had to renew mine, I had no idea when it was due for renewal? When I found out and renewed via PayPal, I got no confirmation email so I kept my PayPal payment slip as proof. I have heard from a couple of other people that they also had no idea when they renewed if it was accepted?

With all things, being a new club there are going to be growing pains and SNAFUs. Hopefully, when we voice them here where we know many of the CHB board members will likely read them that they will take our comments in stride and not as attacks on them pesonally. That they will see that there is room for improvements and where those improvements can be made. We all want the best for this organization and we all try in our own way to help when we can.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

toybarons wrote:
With all things, being a new club there are going to be growing pains and SNAFUs. Hopefully, when we voice them here where we know many of the CHB board members will likely read them that they will take our comments in stride and not as attacks on them pesonally. That they will see that there is room for improvements and where those improvements can be made. We all want the best for this organization and we all try in our own way to help when we can.

Well said, Toybarons. For many members forums are the only source of input.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Everyone,

As a new Elected member on the Board, I recognize and am interested in hearing what members and non members alike feel and have to say. It's always important to get feedback and find out the opinions our members and future members have.

I am new to the Board, and will be honest we can't fulfill every expectation of each one of our members, but will do our best to collectively work towards maintaining the integrity and relations between the CHB and it's member base.

With CHB still in it's infancy, there is a great amount of potential for expansion and growth. This also means a great amount of work, preparation and effort that needs to be put forth.
I would like to thank and acknowledge the previous board members for their countless hours of support, efforts and time that went into bringing CHB to the point it is today.

To implement change, and have things running as a smooth operation does take time. The CHB Board is working collectively together to bring CHB as a whole, into the next chapter. It's our goal to keep our members and the general public up to-date on current events related to CHB.

I understand that there are concerns and issues that need to be addressed and that's what we are here for, after all with out members there would not be CHB.

As Director you can address your concerns, ideas, opinions, suggestions or comments in a public forum, via Private messaging or by emailing myself, or another board member.
I will do my best to answer and address in a timely manor.

In the days to come we will have our updated Board of Directors Members list posted, and some updates to the website as well.

With the CHB Show coming up soon, our focus is on ensuring this year's event is as great, if not better then the previous year.

I look forwards to working hand in hand with the members of CHB, as well as the CHB board to continue the growth and expansion of this amazing club and community.

We appreciate your support & understanding while we are in the middle of a transition, and look forwards to your continued support as CHB emerges into another year!

Feel free to contact myself...

Thank you for your time,

Jonathan M Samis
CHB Director
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Would it be nice if there was a southern AB "branch" or something like that? A south of Red Deer group of CHB representative whom can organize meetings, displays and shows south of Red Deer. That would have been my input for the meeting, or was there something like that already mentioned Sue? The meeting minutes could be collected and written down and later dispersed by newsletter to other members that could not make it there on time.
Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Piet wrote:Would it be nice if there was a southern AB "branch" or something like that? A south of Red Deer group of CHB representative whom can organize meetings, displays and shows south of Red Deer. That would have been my input for the meeting, or was there something like that already mentioned Sue? The meeting minutes could be collected and written down and later dispersed by newsletter to other members that could not make it there on time.
Piet

Nothing like that was mentioned, but seeing as how this is the CANADIAN Heritage Breed Club, I can see members from across the country representing the club as the club grows. However, the club is in it's infancy, the board is Albertan and most (all?) are from Red Deer and north, am I correct? Yes, minutes and newsletter are the way to go to inform all.

Will we be seeing these on the website in the future?

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes we will have the minutes and newsletters on the website.
Please bare with us (CHB). We do have some old newsletters on the website.
It is a very busy time for the board, just like yourselves as we also are all working hard to get everything ready for winter on our farms and working on planning the show (which is a huge undertaking) and the upcoming two displays at Leduc and Red Deer Peavey Marts.

Please feel free to email or call the board to discuss suggestions you may have on CHB. Some of the board doesn't go on the forums much or at all. Our Contacts are on the CHB website ( our new Director Jonny and Secretary Karrie are still to be updated).

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Updated board contacts yesterday.

Sorry Kyle, forgot to actually let anyone know! Embarassed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://countrythyme.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum