Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buff Rock Rooster

+7
k.r.l
Rasilon
ipf
CynthiaM
KathyS
Schipperkesue
lazyfarmer
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buff Rock Rooster Empty Buff Rock Rooster Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:25 pm

lazyfarmer

Let me try something different does anyone have a good buff rock rooster for sale?

2Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:11 am

lazyfarmer

Is there anyone who even raises buff rock, or do I have the only flock in the country?

3Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:01 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You may have the only flock amongst the members here and may have to take your search further to find a roo. Alas, our little membership here is nowhere near representative of the whole country. Perhaps members here can make suggestions of where you should go to find what you need.

4Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:58 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I haven't heard about any Buff Rock breeders in Alberta, or anywhere else for that matter. It seems there is a breed club in Canada:

The Canadian Plymouth Rock Club
c/o Chris Johnson
RR#5
Langton, Ontario
Canada N0E 1GO
e-mail: cjohnson@kwic.com

Maybe that can help lead you in the right direction, but as Schipperkesue said it may take some digging to find a breeder, and then of course there is no guarantee they would have stock available or be willing to ship if they are located in other parts of Canada.

I've seen what was probably the influence of Buff Rocks in a flock of Alberta Buff Orpingtons - a few bright yellow legs that didn't belong!! So perhaps there are other breeders besides yourself around.
Good luck!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

5Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:
I've seen what was probably the influence of Buff Rocks in a flock of Alberta Buff Orpingtons - a few bright yellow legs that didn't belong!! So perhaps there are other breeders besides yourself around.
Good luck!

This is weird eh? I have had one pullet and one cockerel in the buff orpington breedings this year, only 2 in about 200 that had yellow legs. I don't think it came from buff rocks though. It perplexed me. The rooster is in the freezer and the pullet, not sure if her legs are still yellow. I could find out though. A friend took her because she didn't want her in the breeding pool, so she is just the egg laying machine doin' an egg laying job.

I bet buff Plymouth rocks would be a most beautiful bird. I was looking in the standard book yesterday at pictures (Sister loves chickens just like me), and I was struck by the breeds that have buff. Ohhhh, just something about buff birds, they are pretty buff in my eyes Cool . Lazyfarmer, I hope you find what you are looking for, sounds beautiful, have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

6Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok, now I want to see them. You have piqued my interest, Cynthia. Lazy farmer, please post some pictures!

7Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:45 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I did a little searching. Apparently Tom Roebuck is Mr. Buff Rock. He lives in Virginia but if you contact him he may be able to help you find Canadian birds. He was Buff Rock breeder of the year in 2011.

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=poultry;id=63;url=http%3A%2F%2Fgff%2Ecochinsrule%2Ecom%2F

I am curious. In your first post you mention trying something different. Obviously you don't mean try a different breed since you already have them. What is the different thing you want to try?

8Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:18 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

McMurrays has Buff Rocks - I bought a few, a couple of years back, and kept one pullet. She is charming and pretty, not a very good layer, and by far the most takative hen I've ever had. She doesn't look that ddifferent from an Orp, but the feathering has that Rock-y look to it, if you use your imagination.

Cindi, having yellow legs crop up means only that at least one roo and at least one hen carry that (recessive) yellow allele, and that the two of them got together. Happens in the best families.

9Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I bet buff Plymouth rocks would be a most beautiful bird.
I was looking in the standard book yesterday at pictures (Sister loves
chickens just like me), and I was struck by the breeds that have buff.
Ohhhh, just something about buff birds, they are pretty buff in my eyes
CynthiaM.[/quote]

Cynthia I too love the buff birds. I considered buff rocks when I
was going through the standard but decided to go with orpingtons that
way there wouldn't be any accidental crossings of 2 buff breeds.
Someday though, someday.
Geri

10Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If you love a Large Buff Bird that is winter hardy... every thought about the Buff Chantecler.
Buff Rock Rooster Dscn8510

11Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are looking good krl!

12Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Buff, buff, buff, something about that buff bird!! Wonder why people are called "buff" when they are muscled up, strange word. k.r.l. what a beautiful buff bird, smiling. Chanteclers are something to behold, buff, buff, buff. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

13Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:14 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:Buff, buff, buff, something about that buff bird!! Wonder why people are called "buff" when they are muscled up, strange word. k.r.l. what a beautiful buff bird, smiling. Chanteclers are something to behold, buff, buff, buff. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

1570s, buffe leather, from M.Fr. buffle "buffalo" (15c., via It. from L. bufalus; see buffalo). The color term comes from the hue of buffalo hides (later ox hides); association of "hide" and "skin" led c.1600 to in the buff, and use of buff or suede to polish metal led to sense of verb "to polish with a buff" (1885). Related: Buffed; buffing. Buff-colored uniforms of N.Y.C. volunteer firefighters since 1820s led to meaning "enthusiast" (1903).

The Buffs are men and boys whose love of fires, fire-fighting and firemen is a predominant characteristic. [N.Y. "Sun," Feb. 4, 1903]

Adj. meaning "well-built, hunky" is from 1980s, from sense "polish, make attractive."

14Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:11 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:
CynthiaM wrote:Buff, buff, buff, something about that buff bird!! Wonder why people are called "buff" when they are muscled up, strange word. k.r.l. what a beautiful buff bird, smiling. Chanteclers are something to behold, buff, buff, buff. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

1570s, buffe leather, from M.Fr. buffle "buffalo" (15c., via It. from L. bufalus; see buffalo). The color term comes from the hue of buffalo hides (later ox hides); association of "hide" and "skin" led c.1600 to in the buff, and use of buff or suede to polish metal led to sense of verb "to polish with a buff" (1885). Related: Buffed; buffing. Buff-colored uniforms of N.Y.C. volunteer firefighters since 1820s led to meaning "enthusiast" (1903).

The Buffs are men and boys whose love of fires, fire-fighting and firemen is a predominant characteristic. [N.Y. "Sun," Feb. 4, 1903]

Adj. meaning "well-built, hunky" is from 1980s, from sense "polish, make attractive."

Well, how very interesting is that!! Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

15Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:55 am

lazyfarmer

Sue the thing I wanted to try new was I had posted for Delaware's and Partridge Chanty Rooster and had no luck finding them, so I was trying to find something new the Buffs.
I am not quaified to take pictures or to upload them so have none available. I have not found any other Buffs yet so am still looking. May have to do the Mcmurray spring order, just haven't had much luck ordering from the states as it takes to long to get here and I have to travel so far. The Buffs Rocks are great birds though.

16Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:07 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Then Mcmurrays may be the best way to go. If I have to judge hatcheries based on the limited purchasing I have done from them, then Mcmurrays seems to have good stock. However, if you are looking for a specific type of bird, for example, heavier body or higher output of eggs, I would speak to a breeder. I suspect they would know how their birds turn out much better than a hatchery does.

17Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:47 am

lazyfarmer

Still looking, is there anyone who knows where one might be? Please don't get my hopes up, when I see a new post just to say you don't have one. Thanks

18Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:57 pm

tung koon paak

tung koon paak

Buff Rock Rooster Brahma10Buff Rock Rooster Brahma11
may still have a young roo from these

19Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:01 pm

lazyfarmer

They look good. I am still tring to make it out there, but being so cold I am staying close to home. Please keep a rooster for me I WILL make it there soon.

20Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow, LF, what did you ask for Christmas? Looks like KungToon has answered your call!

21Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:25 pm

lazyfarmer

Sue you are think these pictures were for me? They are but I remember someone else asking for pictures. Now you can see what buff Rocks look like.TKP had responded months ago, I am just trying to get out there. Also he was just showing off that he can post pictures and I can't. What am I missing? Do you have to have your pictures somewhere else other then my files?

22Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:18 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

LF, did KT post these for you? I thought have had them and was offering them. Darn!

Sorry you are having issues posting pics. I used to struggle with that myself...until I got an iPad. Now it is easy peasy!

23Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:59 am

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

lazyfarmer wrote:Sue the thing I wanted to try new was I had posted for Delaware's and Partridge Chanty Rooster and had no luck finding them, so I was trying to find something new the Buffs.
I am not quaified to take pictures or to upload them so have none available. I have not found any other Buffs yet so am still looking. May have to do the Mcmurray spring order, just haven't had much luck ordering from the states as it takes to long to get here and I have to travel so far. The Buffs Rocks are great birds though.

Have you considered Buff Wyandottes. I will try to post some pictures of mine this week. I have two lines. From US hatcheries. Four 2011 hens from Meyers (won't ship to Canada any more) and two 2012 Roos from Ideal. The one roo looks really good. It is a starting point as I could not find any Buff Wyandotte in Canada. I have 5 early hatch chicks from them right now, and 6 more fertile in the incubator. May sell some eggs as soon as a 2 nd hen stars laying.

Perry

http://www.pandlgamebirds.ca

24Buff Rock Rooster Empty Re: Buff Rock Rooster Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:12 pm

lazyfarmer

Perry thanks but am trying to stay with the rocks. Sue yes tkp has them and I want them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum