Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas??

+7
fuzzylittlefriend
debbiej
HigginsRAT
ars800
rosewood
islandgal99
Jonny Anvil
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey everyone,

Karrie and I are going on a much needed relaxing getaway to Vancouver Island from Sept 7th-14th. to celebrate her 28th Birthday and our 1 year engagement.
Seeing how we are not very familiar with areas other than Campbell River, we are looking for suggestions of places to go and sites to see. This will be our first trip to the Island together as a couple, and I want it to be a memorable one.

I am seeking advice from local Islanders and lower mainlanders on places on Van Island that are a must see or a must do or a must stay.
We are on a budget, but do plan to stay at a hotel or a resort for a few nights, as well as enjoy a few activities.

We are interested in beach combing, camping spots, historical spots... Good eating spots.
Also activities like renting scooters, boating, swimming in the ocean (Sandy beaches) I am looking for a good place to go crabbing... Last time I was on the Island there were issues regarding red tide.

I would also like to rent a boat so we can go for bottom fish and drop a crab pot off shore.... any places that people recommend??

We are also interested in hot springs and such... I have done a fair amount of research already but would like to hear what locals say and recommend?

Cheers,

Jonny

2Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:00 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

In addition to all the beaches everywhere, other favorites are:

Coombs market - free
Moobberry winery and Qualicum cheese works
Horne lake caves
Little Qualicum falls - free
Englishman river falls- free
The tressle by mill bay... Kindle? Lots of trails- free
Sooke potholes - free
Royal roads gardens- free and amazing
tubing on lake cowichan river
Botanical beach - check tides
Cow bay
Chemanius
Parliament buildings and downtown Victoria
Thursday night market in downtown sidney
Beacon hill park - free

Let me know if you want more ideas....

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

3Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I haven't been to the Island for 20 years, but I liked Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse. Also China Town and the museum in Victoria. I enjoyed fish 'n' chips wrapped in newspaper and eaten on the waterfront in Victoria.

4Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:47 pm

ars800

ars800

Hey Jonny,

I'll second a lot of what islandgal99 has suggested. I think it really depends on what you're looking for. I've lived on and off the island for the last 20 years or so and I love it here and I've seen a lot of it. Worked in forestry for some years too so I've seen a lot of it that people may never care to see. I'll be around during that time, I'm in Qualicum Beach area and it's a good central location. 2 hours to Vic, Tofino, hour to Campbell River, just over an hour to most of the wineries, distilleries, breweries, 30 minutes to some of the best fresh seafood in the world, etc. Love it here.

But then, I love food, wine, seafood and all things related. About 50% of seafood production in Canada comes from this area, mostly shellfish. There's golf, beaches, and many other things too, as with most of the Island.

If you have any questions, want information on anything, PM me. As I said, I'll be around and feel free to get in touch.

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

5Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:06 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

6Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:04 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I agree with the prior suggestions, but a stay at the Crown Mansion in Qualicum Beach, would be a great Anniversary spot, fabulous view of the ocean and the best Restaurant around [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It's a heritage building with lots of interesting history, John Wayne,& Rita Hayworth to mention a few stayed at the Mansion, and have a room named for them. The architecture and wood work are gorgeous, as are the gardens, and views.
Tofino and Uccululet are incredible places to visit, that's where the surfers go. There is a lighthouse in Uccululete. The road there is too cool, a gorgeous drive. The Interpretative center at the Wichinnish Inn is free and worth a visit, you can beach comb and walk the beach for hours, it's on Long Beach, miles of sand and great beach.
Cathedral Grove is one of my favorite places to go to. Qualicum River Falls are gorgeous and incredible also. Nanoose Bay is a good place to go crabbing I'm told.
Best fish and chips at the Wheelhouse at the marina at French Creek right on the water where the fishing boats dock and by the Lisquiti Island Ferry.

7Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:05 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey everyone.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions on places to visit and experience so far.
I have already plotted a good majority of the mentioned places on out travel map. We plan on spending a few days on the West coast of the Island, a few up near campbell river and north, as well as the southern tip before our depart back to the mainland.

There definitely is so much to do and explore, might not have enough time to do it all.

I really appreciate the suggestions, there are some places that we wouldn't have know about unless others mentioned it.

I guess I have a few more questions in regards to the weather on the Island in mid September, we are planning on camping in a tent, unless the weather says otherwise, i have budgeted for a few nights stay in a motel/hotel. What kind of weather should I expect?
Also does anyone here have any suggestions on where to go to catch crab? I have been reading that Sooke and Victoria area are good places, but I have been reading that you can crab almost anywhere around the island, depending on closures and such.

I am looking forwards to a nice west coast experience, filled with good times, great eats.

8Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:41 pm

ars800

ars800

Jonny Anvil wrote:
I guess I have a few more questions in regards to the weather on the Island in mid September, we are planning on camping in a tent, unless the weather says otherwise, i have budgeted for a few nights stay in a motel/hotel. What kind of weather should I expect?
Also does anyone here have any suggestions on where to go to catch crab? I have been reading that Sooke and Victoria area are good places, but I have been reading that you can crab almost anywhere around the island, depending on closures and such.

I am looking forwards to a nice west coast experience, filled with good times, great eats.

As for weather, who knows. There have been nice years and not so nice years and September has been hit and miss. Last few years, Spring was wet, then early July someone turned the tap off and it was hot and dry until September. Come September, we had rain off and on but it can still be a nice month. There are lots of places to camp but by then you should be able to find some deals on hotels too as most of the tourists are gone.

As for crab, yes, you can probably catch it just about anywhere. Most of the people I know in the Duncan area fish in the Cowichan Bay area or across the strait in Burgoyne Bay just off Saltspring Island. Or, just off the Ladysmith area around Tent Island and some of the other islands. But again, there are several places you could probably go, just ask around locally. I'm not sure if it's just the experience you are after or the crab but you may be better off just buying some from a local fisherman on a wharf. You can sometimes find some good deals. Depending on whether they are in season, you may find some on the docks in Nanaimo, Ladysmith, or likely Victoria. If you are driving through Vancouver, stop in Steveston at the wharf and you will find tons (literally) of cheap seafood.

By the time you buy a tidal license (you need one to collect any time of shellfish or to fish) and rent a boat, etc. you may find the cost per crab a little high. You can usually buy prawns and other stuff at a good rate. There are plenty of seafood shops on the Island and the scallop place in Qualicum is fantastic!

Here are some links for fishing information:
If you want to buy a tidal (saltwater) license, you can do it online now:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here are the closure and limit information links:

Definitely check the RED TIDE (PSP) advisories before you do any harvesting:

Also, if you're looking for more general "tourist-y" stuff, the HelloBC website has some good general information:

Many of the towns and areas also have websites with good tourist information. This is the one for our area:

9Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:53 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ok if you go to tofino side you must find the tacofino truck and have as many fish tacos you can consume! They are a food truck ( stationary though) in the 1st " mall" as u head into . Same place as one of the big surf stores. The fish tacos are unreal! We ate several times in our stay there last year. We also bought fresh local cran a few times. Biggest crabs I have ever seen!

My husband and I keep drooling every time we talk about the tacos. You must go!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

10Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 pm

ars800

ars800

fuzzylittlefriend wrote:Ok if you go to tofino side you must find the tacofino truck and have as many fish tacos you can consume! They are a food truck ( stationary though) in the 1st " mall" as u head into . Same place as one of the big surf stores. The fish tacos are unreal! We ate several times in our stay there last year. We also bought fresh local cran a few times. Biggest crabs I have ever seen!

My husband and I keep drooling every time we talk about the tacos. You must go!

Yes! and the Chocolate Diablo cookies.

You can find some good food at Shelter too.

11Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:04 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

September is great weather on the inner coast, usually (not quite so great out at Long Beach, but that area has other virtues). Average precipitation in Victoria for the month is 3 cm; that's not much. Camping should be really nice, and, best of all, most of the tourists have gone!

12Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:23 pm

ars800

ars800

Oh, and if you're in the Duncan area and feel like you need a poultry fix, the Cowichan Valley Exhibition is September 7-9th.

13Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:26 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Regarding the weather...sssshhhh. It's known as our secret summer out here in september and October, and often couples come without the kids for a nice escape.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

14Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

ars800 wrote:
Jonny Anvil wrote:

As for weather, who knows. There have been nice years and not so nice years and September has been hit and miss. Last few years, Spring was wet, then early July someone turned the tap off and it was hot and dry until September. Come September, we had rain off and on but it can still be a nice month. There are lots of places to camp but by then you should be able to find some deals on hotels too as most of the tourists are gone.

As for crab, yes, you can probably catch it just about anywhere. Most of the people I know in the Duncan area fish in the Cowichan Bay area or across the strait in Burgoyne Bay just off Saltspring Island. Or, just off the Ladysmith area around Tent Island and some of the other islands. But again, there are several places you could probably go, just ask around locally. I'm not sure if it's just the experience you are after or the crab but you may be better off just buying some from a local fisherman on a wharf. You can sometimes find some good deals. Depending on whether they are in season, you may find some on the docks in Nanaimo, Ladysmith, or likely Victoria. If you are driving through Vancouver, stop in Steveston at the wharf and you will find tons (literally) of cheap seafood.

By the time you buy a tidal license (you need one to collect any time of shellfish or to fish) and rent a boat, etc. you may find the cost per crab a little high. You can usually buy prawns and other stuff at a good rate. There are plenty of seafood shops on the Island and the scallop place in Qualicum is fantastic!

Here are some links for fishing information:
If you want to buy a tidal (saltwater) license, you can do it online now:

Here are the closure and limit information links:

Definitely check the RED TIDE (PSP) advisories before you do any harvesting:

Also, if you're looking for more general "tourist-y" stuff, the HelloBC website has some good general information:

Many of the towns and areas also have websites with good tourist information. This is the one for our area:

Thanks for the links I checked them all out... and booked marked lots of stuff...... I plan on getting my tidal waters license as I do intend to spend at least one day putting around in a rented boat going for bottom fish, just a few hours trie for some sole or bottom fish.

Purchasing fresh crab from one of the wharf's is also an option, then we definitely get that crab dinner, for me it's the experience as well. I think setting your own trap, taking off and fishing near by for a few hours then come back and see what you have in the trap, I like the idea of hauling up a crap pot.

I am for sure buying prawns and scallops from the wharf's.

I was talking about the tacofino truck today with a friend of mine who is heading out to Hornby for the next month... he suggested the tacofino truck and plans to eat there a few times and has highly suggested it as well.

Sounds like I have nothing to worry about other then having a good time and exploring the island...
wish the date would come sooner...

15Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'll reiterate many suggestions here, but the more suggestions you get for a place, the better I think. I'be lived on the island for over 40 years now, and have been delivering to, and driving by many of these places for years. I know many of the owners, and gladly reccommend a good place to visit.

Cathedral Grove is a must see for any non BC native. The trees are incredible. A hike thru the forest gives you a different perspective on things.
Yes, tofino and ucluelet offer an incredible west coast experience. A walk along long beach, chesterman beach is also beautiful. And definitely visit the Wickaninnish Inn. Its on chesterman beach as we. In Ucluelet, a visit to Amphitrite Point lighthouse is suggested.

If a hike, and a camp in the forest is possible for you, just west of Port Alberni (on the way to tofino and ucluelet) are the tallest falls in North America. Della Falls. You need to arrange a boat ride from the Ark Resort on great central lake. From your drop at the far end of the lake (7 miles) you hike for most of the day to the base of the falls. This isn't an extreme hike, but you definitely need to be in good physical condition.

Further south, in Victoria, a visit to the royal BC museum is a must. Its world renowned, and will give you a good sense of our historical lifestyle. Full size exhibits are worth bringing a camera for.
The inner harbour also offers many sights, including the Empress Hotel.

About 40 minutes from Victoria is Sooke. This is where the potholes are. Travelling further up the coast takes you to French beach, mystic Beach, and botanical beach. All nice visits. There's also the Juan de fuca trail for more hiking. This one is a bit more intense for non hikers.

And yes, the weather in Sept is usually fantastic. This is when I take 2 weeks off every year and enjoy the outdoors even more, as the majority of travellers have gone back home.

If I think of any other must visits, I'll add them in.
Enjoy your visit to Natures Playground.

16Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:45 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I loved a tiny beach near Ucluelet called Half Moon Bay. To get there you walk along the old road between beaches. The tide pools were wonderful and there is a nice sandy beach. It is seluded enough that the people where we were staying swam there in the nude.

17Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:01 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

My sister lived in Victoria for 25+ years before she passed. I actually love Victoria, I think it is the only city I really like. Beautiful place. The Royal BC museum is a must. I always went every time we went to the city. You can also take a cool carriage ride from outside the government buildings. My sister paid her way through university driving them many years ago.

I also liked the castle a lot. Craigdaric ???? can't remember the how the name was spelt, but I though ti was very cool.

I always loved to go and walk down by the Empress too. Sis didn't live to far from it, and only a few blocks from Beacon Hill Park.

Enjoy your trip Jonny. I haven't seen much of the island except Victoria, I am looking forward to hearing about what you do there.

18Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:30 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey Jonny, depends on where you guys want to go! The beaches are beautiful for swimming in the ocean in Parksville, and the Coombs goat on the roof is fun. The drive out to Port Alberni is amazing with their massive trees (it's like being in Jurrasic Park, nothing like the trees in Alberta or the interior!), and Botanical Beach tide pool watching is oh-so-fun Smile Victoria has the museum which is wonderful, and I like undersea gardens too. There is also whale watching Smile

Have a great visit!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

19Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Empty Re: Vancouver Island Vacation Ideas?? Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I am rather looking forwards to this trip.

Karrie and I are starting our trip off at April Point Resort for two nights for her birthday, and then down to hornby for a few nights and then finishing off in Pedder bay as we have tickets to attend the Rifflandia music festival in Victoria from the 13-16th.

There is so much to do on the island that is for sure.

I am planning on making a travel journal perhaps.. not sure yet.

Cheers!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum