Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hard VS. Soft Feathers

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hard VS. Soft Feathers Empty Hard VS. Soft Feathers Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:45 am

What are the differences between hard and soft feathering. Is one better or worse for the bird? What is the appropriate environment for each (hot, dry, cold, wet etc)? Is one more susceptible to parasite attacks? Is one better for certain colors? Lots of questions to answer, tell us what you know!!

2Hard VS. Soft Feathers Empty Re: Hard VS. Soft Feathers Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:48 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I dunno, I know I just like soft feathers, like cochins and orpingtons, big balls of fluff that feel really, really nice when you hold them. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

3Hard VS. Soft Feathers Empty Re: Hard VS. Soft Feathers Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I believe "Hard feather" refers to those breeds that were once used for cock fights. These would be the game breeds.

"Soft feather" refers to the non-fighting breeds.

4Hard VS. Soft Feathers Empty Re: Hard VS. Soft Feathers Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It also has to do with the texture of the feathers and how they're held to the body. Hard are tight to the body, little fluff. Soft feathered birds have looser feathering, usually with lots more fluff.

I find it very important for hardiness. Soft feathered breeds tend to hold heat to their bodies much better.

http://countrythyme.ca

5Hard VS. Soft Feathers Empty Re: Hard VS. Soft Feathers Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Wouldnt a soft feathered type be more susceptible to moisture, maybe suffer in a wet humid cold environment? And which would be better for staying cool in the heat?? Are soft or hard feathers more prone to defects like twisting? Does feather type have anything to do with fertility,Ive heard that hens with brittle feathers are more fertile??

6Hard VS. Soft Feathers Empty Re: Hard VS. Soft Feathers Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have both types of feathers. The bantam Cornish are very hard feathered. The feathers are smooth, straight and hug the body of the bird. I have no problems with them being any different from the soft feathers and seems to stay just as warm in winter. Apparently you feed differently to get the most of both types of feathering for show purposes. Grain based for hard feathers and pellet based for soft i think.

I do have a question, I suspect hard feathers are easier to pluck. Am I right?

7Hard VS. Soft Feathers Empty Re: Hard VS. Soft Feathers Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

reneggaide wrote:Wouldnt a soft feathered type be more susceptible to moisture, maybe suffer in a wet humid cold environment? And which would be better for staying cool in the heat?? Are soft or hard feathers more prone to defects like twisting? Does feather type have anything to do with fertility,Ive heard that hens with brittle feathers are more fertile??

Chantecler are soft feathered, and the whites were bred in very humid and cold Quebec winters. They seem to handle that quite well. Soft feathered in itself doesn't tell you how fluffy a bird is. Buff and partridge chantecler currently running around have quite a bit more flufiness to them, its possible they would handle humidity less than a good white. Though I have seen the results of some breeders working on tightening the feathering on the buff chantecler and the result is pretty stunning.

I don't think brittle feathers make for better fertility. Maybe your thinking broad feathers? Broader feathers are often considered a sign of a more productive bird, and a productive bird is a healthy bird, which bodes well for fertility. Also, fluffiness can be detrimental to fertility, like in cochins where all that vent fluff can make it difficult for a rooster to make contact.

http://countrythyme.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum