Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wasabi -does anyone grow it?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wasabi -does anyone grow it? Empty Wasabi -does anyone grow it? Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Does anyone grow Wasabi?
Any success with a harvest?
How hard is it to start a new plant from the old one?
Just bought 2 plants and want them to be fabulous, since we love sushi, but have never had real Wasabi to enjoy it with.
Guess that's the next question, is it as good as we are lead to believe????

2Wasabi -does anyone grow it? Empty Re: Wasabi -does anyone grow it? Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:15 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have not grown it but from what I read it is a pain and they say real wasabi roots are expensive up to 100.00 a pound
here is a site
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3Wasabi -does anyone grow it? Empty Re: Wasabi -does anyone grow it? Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:30 pm

ars800

ars800

Hmmm.... we've been trying to get plants for awhile now and every time we have a lead on them, it seems to fall through. I know there are people out here that grow them and from what I've heard, there are a few commercial operations on the Island (Shawnigan Lake and Courtenay I think??)

You may want to check out this document, it's a good summary and give a good overview:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

4Wasabi -does anyone grow it? Empty Re: Wasabi -does anyone grow it? Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:44 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I bought mine from Richter's herbs. They were $15 each. Cheap if they grow, thrive and reproduce.
I've read everything I could find on the net, and would really like to find more people who have had success with them.
One plant will go into our solar greenhouse, and one will stay in the house. In a few years, if I can clone some more, I hope to set up a few other growing trials. They are a plant I'd like to market.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum