Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(Adopted) Husky/Shepherd/Lab cross seeks new home

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bella has gone to her new home. This has been one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I'd like to start out by saying, though I've rescued animals in the past (many, 3 out of 4 of my cats are rescued and the original chickens are technically as well), they've fit into my family so well in the past that they stayed without question. I've homed a couple animals on people's behalves who, for whatever reason, could not keep them due to life circumstances, however I've never rehomed one of my animals.

So, here it goes.

About 4 months ago now, I went to see Bella for the first time and she was handed over by a woman who, suddenly, did not want me to see her place, and informed me she had gotten Bella for her goats to be a livestock guardian, but that the goats just stomped and trampled her. I suddenly, I realize, stopped looking for the right dog for the farm/me, and started thinking about her conditions and how terrifying/painful it must have been as she cowered in my arms. I took her home, un-named, and named her Bella after the bell on the cat collar the woman had put on her; it jingled everywhere she went.

She was very quick to pick up on house training, having never been inside before, got along great with my cats, Bully took to her right away and she accompanied me to work regularly. She has generally been a decent pup, but her energy is endless! Everything around her gets put in her mouth and her prey drive has continued to increase when it comes to the birds. Today was really the breaking point when I realized she will not fit the small farm lifestyle I'm trying to lead.

(Adopted)  Husky/Shepherd/Lab cross seeks new home Bella002-Small

Bella needs a home with either large livestock she can be trained to work/be with, a home where one person is always home where she can be a constant companion at someone's side, or a home with children around the age of 6 or older since she can be a mouthy dog and likes to put things in her face including gently chewing on fingers and toes as a greeting. She would also be a good running/hiking companion. Like I said earlier, she is great with indoor cats and other dogs and takes on a care-taker role in a pack, submissive to other dogs. She is very smart, too much so for her own good, but has a short attention span and inexhaustible energy. She still gets up once or twice a night to go outside to go potty, but as long as the door is closed there are have been no accidents while she wakes you up.

She would do well as an indoor and/or outdoor dog on a farm/acreage setting with larger animals, I think, as she was born that way and still gets hot easily inside (half the reason she's up at night right now), but for some reason, I have guilt about keeping outdoor dogs, though I've never had a bad experience with anyone's. If she is to be a city dog, she would need to be on leash at all times. She loves to run, and as far as she can as fast as she can. If flyball is your thing/hobby/interest, she would likely be a great dog for this as she is very speedy. She could possibly be good at herding sheep as well, if I think on it. She's not a large dog, about the size of a border collie and is approximately 6 months old.

Now, I know this probably won't suit any of you, since you're all chicken enthusiasts, but I thought, perhaps, you may know someone who could be interested. I'm asking for a completely refundable adoption fee of $150, to be returned after she has been spayed, or will pay the difference left over from the $150 if she is to be spayed before being taken home from my house (of course if the spay is less, the fee would be less). Because she is a dog that may not be a fit for every family, I'm more than willing to take her back if whomever adopts her finds out she doesn't match their household and would be so glad to do a 1 week trial or what-have-you before there are any commitments.

I've debated long and hard on this decision and decided it's not only best for me and the farm, but also for Bella, to find a situation that's better suited for her needs. I'm sure she'll find a home, and I'll wait as long as I need to in order to find one that's right for her. I thought I'd start here because I find you all trustworthy and I don't think you'd ever recommend a friend who wouldn't treat her well. Bella will come with her collar and favorite toy.

Anyway, I hope I haven't changed anyone's opinion of me for the worst with my honesty. Please send me a PM or email me at mrichardson.contact@gmail.com with "Bella's adoption" in the subject so I can catch the email if it goes to spam. Ask any questions you like. BC/Alberta interest welcome, as there's a trip out west planned end of July and if there is a serious commitment to taking her, I'm sure we can work something out.

Thanks so much for reading.

Sweets.[center]

Last edited by Sweetened on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like a dog with a lot of potential. She is very young and a lot of the herding dogs are almost impossible for the first two years. It sounds like you are offering a very fair deal. Hope she finds the perfect forever home!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

heda gobbler wrote:Sounds like a dog with a lot of potential. She is very young and a lot of the herding dogs are almost impossible for the first two years. It sounds like you are offering a very fair deal. Hope she finds the perfect forever home!

Thanks heda. I'm sure she will; she has us until she does.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum