Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I bought a book

+4
HigginsRAT
mirycreek
heda gobbler
cuckoomama
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I bought a book Empty I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 12:19 am

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I bought a new book and it came today. It is called Range Free Chicken Gardens. Wow! What a book. CynthiaM, I noticed that you have Buckeyes. They are one of the chickens that are recommended for the Urban Gardner. It says that the Buckeyes go after mice and aare as good as any cat at catching them. Have you noticed this?

2I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I keep hoping this is true but have never seen it - I even toss my Buckeyes dead mice I find in traps but they aren't interested - maybe if they were moving? Hope someone else can confirm this....

Love my Buckeyes all the same!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 8:32 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

oh gosh we cant toss mice out of the traps anywhere near the chickens, they go crazy for them, Buckeyes and all...
If I dont see it happen its ok i guess but mouse fed chicken doesnt appeal to me at all!!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

I know this doesn't answer your question, but the bird that goes after dead mice that I toss in is my rescued battery farm white Leghorn. She goes CRAZY for the mice!! I think it's like rescued animals of any species. They just live large once they're freed from whatever hell they came from. Smile

Having said that, I have lots of live mice in my coop and the only thing I see chasing them is the cat. Rolling Eyes

6I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 11:59 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You should see my bantam Cornish hunt mice! They are like little tigers. Once one has a mouse, none of the flock is satisfied until the hapless creature is torn limb from limb.

7I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 12:30 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:You should see my bantam Cornish hunt mice! They are like little tigers. Once one has a mouse, none of the flock is satisfied until the hapless creature is torn limb from limb.
Yes thats kind of the scene that ensues alright,a little too carnal for me to watch.....

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

8I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

i have never ever actually seen any mice around here, just the stuff that shows they are here, like their feces. Probably the chickens eat them up and that is why I don't see them. I know I surely did catch enough in the traps last late summer. If the buckeyes were after them, they did not do a very good job. I guess if you sat and watched really closely for hours, you might see the mice and see if anyone goes after them. I've never given the chickens the mice from the traps, maybe I should, then see if they like them or not. Buckeyes are really good for the outside stuff because they like to forage so much. They live for foraging, also are good with confinement though. When I open the buckeye gate to get out to the outside world, they run as fast as they can, my other breeds just meander out slowly and head off then to the wild blue yonder. Not the buckeyes they can't get to wherever they are heading to fast enough, full dead running. They are a good farm chicken I think too, kind of biased to how much I like the breed, smiling. As other breeds with the small combs and tight feathers, they sure can withstand cold and heat well. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

9I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 10:00 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:You should see my bantam Cornish hunt mice! They are like little tigers. Once one has a mouse, none of the flock is satisfied until the hapless creature is torn limb from limb.
Yes thats kind of the scene that ensues alright,a little too carnal for me to watch.....

My polish do that too. One will grab the mouse and run like the wind until another catches up and snatches it. It goes on until each hen has a piece of mouse of their own.

10I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I believe men on horseback in Khazakstan play this same game with a dead goat.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heda, gotta hand it to you. THAT sentence is hard to follow!

12I bought a book Empty Re: I bought a book Wed May 30, 2012 6:37 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, when Tara was talking about picking up the nest boxes and the mice hiding below, I should make something like that, cause I know what you mean. The mice make nest below the water containers holder, which is a red, in most cases, upside down coke pop bottle crate, it is quite flat and good for allowing water to not gather below, as it drips through. I have seen the mice make nests below that, when I pick it up and move around the shavings, there are baby mice. Now I can attest that chickens, all of them, love baby pinkies Shocked . I bet this would be an awesome mice control thing, maybe gonna make some big mice-hiding-under things so I don't have to trap with traps so much. Like two 2 X 4s on the ground about 18 inches long and a piece of plywood or particle board on top. Bet mice would LOVE to build nest below that....hmmmm...mice control, saw some mice poops in the chicken entry part yesterday, they are there, they are there. No use for mice at all, can't stand them, they are not cute and what a mess they make, everywhere!! Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum