Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sick chick check list

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sick chick check list Empty Sick chick check list Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:53 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

(say that quick ten times)

Long time chicken people will know all this stuff. But new people might not. Over the years of raising and hatching birds, this is what I have found to be true in most cases and I share it to help out people who might not know what to do. This is just my opinion and experience. I am no expert.

Screaming chicks. Number one reason, they are cold. Move the light a little closer and make sure there is room for everyone to get under the warmth. Sometimes some get booted out to the cold edges and can't get warm. They will scream about it! Butts caked with poo tell you you've had cold chicks (pasty butt).

Number two reason for screaming chicks is thirst. Sometimes they don't get the hang of drinking. I dip beaks in a shallow water container. But more often than not, they are cold. Rarely do they scream from hunger. If one figures out how to peck at the crumble, before long they all catch on. Monkey see, monkey do.

Rarely, but not unheard of, are insecure chicks that feel all alone in the wide world. They either need more chicks with them or some little toy to cuddle up to. A chick is a creature meant to be cuddled under the downy breast of its mother. A cold, stark, lonely world can be a little overwhelming. And they scream out of lonliness and wanting that place to belong.

Droopy, inactive chicks

Usually too hot. Make sure your chicks can get away from the heat. Take note of the sleeping pattern. If your chicks are all clumped together, they are too cold. If they are sprawled all over, they are too hot! If they are just tucked neatly close but not piling on each other, they are just right.

Sleepy, not moving chicks

I keep repeating myself. Closed eyes are often a sign of pain. If a chick is a little removed from the crowd, not part of what's going on, eyes closed, he's hurting.

Bent toes, splayed legs.

Can be helped with little splints fashioned out of bandaids. This must be done as soon as possible after hatch. I always dose these chicks with cod liver oil.

I find that most chicks with birth/genetic defects just up and die and you had no idea it was coming. A noisy chick most often has a problem that you can fix (water/ warmth). An obvious problem like bad legs can be remedied, yolk belly (yellow belly, omphalitis) while rare, can sometimes be helped by picking the scab off the navel and letting the yolk drain. But this is a hard call to make. Even flippers (more common in turkeys) can be taped into an upright stance in a coffee cup or such to see if it solves the problem.

I find that if I see or notice a problem, I can usually attempt to fix it and in many cases, save the chick. But the truly gentically bad ones either never hatch or die without warning when you had no chance to try anything.

Hope this can help someone who might be trying to figure out what the problem is and what to do about it.

2Sick chick check list Empty Re: Sick chick check list Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:23 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks so much Uno. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten us newbies. I've just hatched out my first batch and will be doing my second in June. Good to know all this. Will you tell me how you administer Cod Liver Oil to them?

3Sick chick check list Empty Re: Sick chick check list Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

Very good post Uno...
but what is " flippers? "
"Even flippers (more common in turkeys) can be taped into an upright stance in a coffee cup or such to see if it solves the problem."
thanks.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

4Sick chick check list Empty Re: Sick chick check list Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:38 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This is great info!

I am wondering what a flipper is too. Very Happy

5Sick chick check list Empty Re: Sick chick check list Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:41 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Grandma Art wrote:

Very good post Uno...
but what is " flippers? "
"Even flippers (more common in turkeys) can be taped into an upright stance in a coffee cup or such to see if it solves the problem."
thanks.

Flippers are chicks that try to stand, but instead they have no balance and continually flip themselves over backwards. It looks like they just push too hard with their legs in front of them and flip onto their backs.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

6Sick chick check list Empty Re: Sick chick check list Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cod liver oil usually comes in capsules. I jab the end with a pin and while holding the chick with his mouth CAREFULLY pried open in one hand, I attempt to squeeze a drop of the thick oil into his mouth. It helps if you have 14 hands. What works better is I have a syringe with the thinnest, long plastic nose on it. I jab the capsule, suck the oil into the syringe and then squirt a drop into a chick's mouth. It is shockingly hard to sqeeze a capsule!

Flippers either stumble forward onto their face OR the head bends backward over their back, slowly as if they are reaching for their tail and boink! they flip over backwards.

I will wrap a chick in some soft rag, tuck him in a cup that allows him to stand upright but not move around too much, and I put several strips of tape over the open top to prevent him from leaping out. His head can stick out and it's best if he is standing. But the soft packing prevents him from flipping over backward or moving around too much. SOmetimes overnight in the 'body cast' keeping them upright helps. BUt in my experience most flippers do not make it and eventually die. If you tape a chick into a cup, make sure he is close enough to the heat to be warm, but not too close to get over heated since he cannot move!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum