Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

White Chantecler chicks - Alberta

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Empty White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice quality, healthy chicks now 5 weeks old. I have sorted carefully amongst those I've hatched, and will only sell chicks with correct shank color and good cushion combs. 8 extras available - straight run. I can't sex them, but should be fairly even ratio of male:female. $14.00 each, sorry, no delivery available. Please email if interested. Thanks!

White Chantecler chicks - Alberta May9

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Empty Re: White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Wed May 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Kathys, sorting the leg colors is great but they can still throw off colored offspring. They need to be test mated and proved to be pure Id/Id then you get yellow legs from yellow leg Roos and only if the females have yellow legs too. I'm only saying this so you don't misrepresent them to the unknowing customer.
If you can produce a 10 lb white Chantecler cockerel with proper cushion comb I would buy it from you no matter the leg color. Dairy Queen got mine Too excited and he had a heart attack. I'd pay more if he has yellow legs and even more if you can prove to me he is pure Id/Id not just Id/id yellow. I will leave this offer to buy open for 1 year if you wish to try for it.

3White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Empty Re: White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Wed May 09, 2012 3:29 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

reneggaide wrote:Kathys, sorting the leg colors is great but they can still throw off colored offspring. They need to be test mated and proved to be pure Id/Id then you get yellow legs from yellow leg Roos and only if the females have yellow legs too. I'm only saying this so you don't misrepresent them to the unknowing customer.
If you can produce a 10 lb white Chantecler cockerel with proper cushion comb I would buy it from you no matter the leg color. Dairy Queen got mine Too excited and he had a heart attack. I'd pay more if he has yellow legs and even more if you can prove to me he is pure Id/Id not just Id/id yellow. I will leave this offer to buy open for 1 year if you wish to try for it.

I can't guarantee that these chicks will only produce offspring with deep yellow legs. I can only vouch for the quality of the individual bird I am selling. I can say with confidence that these hens will be very good layers, and the roosters will mature to a good size, maybe not 10 lbs however. I am aware of the willow-leg gene and the challenges of eradicating that from one's breeding program. I have been test mating since early Feb, but it is an ongoing process. But until I start to produce 100% yellow shank chicks, I will never make any guarantees in that regard, or misrepresent what I'm selling. This is a conversation I have with any potential buyer of my Chanteclers, and is also stated on my website. Please email if you wish to discuss future purchases.

4White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Empty Re: White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Wed May 09, 2012 3:47 pm

I completely agree with you that these are very high quality birds. Your asking price reflects their value.

5White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Empty Re: White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 am

Rober10169

How long after the chicks hatch can one see if they will have nice yellow legs or not? I have hatched out over 60 this year and I am finding it hard to tell when they are first hatched out.

6White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Empty Re: White Chantecler chicks - Alberta Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think we should start another post dedicated to White Chantecler leg color. I know there have been others, but I think there is more to discuss...such as what I suspect to be hens hiding improper color! According to everything Ive read it is only roosters that can appear to have yellow legs, but throw a percentage of willow offspring, but I think we need to be very very careful that we are choosing only hens with the deepest yellow pigment for test mating!
I must run for now, but would like to re-visit this topic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum