Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

POL Pullets Wanted

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1POL Pullets Wanted Empty POL Pullets Wanted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This is a bit strange (to me anyway) but I have been asked to procure about 10-12 laying chickens. The family wants chcikens for their granddaughter to enjoy and to supply eggs to the extended family for the summer. They do not want bantams, are interested in standard size fowl. I am not certain they intend to keep them over the winter, they suggested both eating them in the fall (but realized laying hens, even young ones, would not be ideal for meat) or giving them to me to over winter which I still need to speak to them more about (Did I mention this is my new boss at work asking?). I believe the birds would be very well cared for as they train horses and the level of care they provide the animals (horses, dogs) with is exceptional.

Realizing there are details I would need to further investigate, i said I would see first if anyone had laying pullets or point of lay pullets for sale. They would like the birds as soon as possible but I think at the Wetaskawin sale would still be okay if I can't source any close-by before that.

Is anyone selling POL pullets and if yes of what age, breed and for what price? I will check my pms...

2POL Pullets Wanted Empty Re: POL Pullets Wanted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:23 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

If they are wanting to eat them I would think you would want to get them a dual purpose bird. However I would explain to them that they would not be as big as a bird they would buy in the store.

3POL Pullets Wanted Empty Re: POL Pullets Wanted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:31 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

When I explained what a dual purpose hen might be like for eating they seemed not to want to go that route. I think they are used to (and like) the true meat birds for their table. That said I agree PC, dual purpose might be the best so they keep their options open.

4POL Pullets Wanted Empty Re: POL Pullets Wanted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:35 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have some almost 1 year old Ameraucana crosses laying pale brown and white eggs. I would NOT want them slaughtered in fall. They have many years of production left. How many do they want?

As for price, perhaps someone could help me out with this...

5POL Pullets Wanted Empty Re: POL Pullets Wanted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Try to find a nice big dual purpose, I have a few big Cochin hens that look like they would be good eating. Perhaps Chanteclers, Buckeyes or Wyandottes? As long as they are on the bigger side. Very Happy
I would suggest EO's but who wants to eat them Shocked

6POL Pullets Wanted Empty Re: POL Pullets Wanted Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:53 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

As I said, I do need to speak with them and confirm a plan for end of summer.

I will be taking birds to St. Paul for butcher this fall so one option I will present to them is taking either their birds along with mine OR swapping them with an equal number of roosters I raise in exchange for their laying hens. I have a real issue eating a hen that is a good layer when there are so many roosters in this (my) world.

If the breed is one I would be interested in keeping over the winter that might be a good option. I think to avoid disappointing them it would need to be a breed with good laying abilities (so not a cochin etc) so they get their summer's worth. For me a dark brown or blue egg layer would have a spot in my coop over winter. EOs would also work well and I will look into that possibility.

If I had more hens I might borrow some of mine to them but at present I don't have enough to make that work.

7POL Pullets Wanted Empty Re: POL Pullets Wanted Tue May 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Not quite point of lay but I have buckeye x chantecler pullets available. Some are 16 weeks and there are tons right behind them. They were made with a dead end in mind. Both breeds laid well and the fleshing is good, very tasty. Let me know if they suit your needs.

8POL Pullets Wanted Empty Re: POL Pullets Wanted Tue May 01, 2012 6:45 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

reneggaide wrote:Not quite point of lay but I have buckeye x chantecler pullets available. Some are 16 weeks and there are tons right behind them. They were made with a dead end in mind. Both breeds laid well and the fleshing is good, very tasty. Let me know if they suit your needs.

That might work for them...can you pm or email me the number you have at 16 weeks and then how many at the next age down? And the price you would be asking? I will pass the info along.

9POL Pullets Wanted Empty Re: POL Pullets Wanted Tue May 01, 2012 8:19 pm

gamestaff

i have some POL isa browns. not much for eating after but great layers and yard birds. have a few extra i'll sell.

http://www.gamestaffstaffords.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum