Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How important is a roosters comb

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How important is a roosters comb Empty How important is a roosters comb Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:26 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi , I just finished counting the points on my barred rocks comb I quit
counting at 8 sigh ...They are supposed to have 5 points .
I have not seen a good comb in the province yet. The last rooster
I had a horrific comb. This current guy was left behind at the
september sale ( yah not a good place to get breeding stock) so I took
him home. He has bred my better hen but all 18 eggs I saved were
clear. So I guess its the soup pot for him too . but anyway
to my question, how important is the comb in breeding will a
rooster pass on the multiple points or is there a chance to get
normal combs
Geri

2How important is a roosters comb Empty Re: How important is a roosters comb Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The chance you will get a perfect comb is slim to none and depends on the hens comb and background and also his background. Simply hatch many and select, selecting for combs can be done very early obviously. I hate bad combs and would cull just for that the first go around if really need be. Look at your hens also, the roosters is more pronounced yes, but the hen is also part in this and she does have a comb too.

Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

3How important is a roosters comb Empty Re: How important is a roosters comb Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My hen has a nice small comb with 5 points. I don't know the roosters
background.. Can't find out who left him to ask. I have tried.

4How important is a roosters comb Empty Re: How important is a roosters comb Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, not a great one to put in input, but I would certainly not breed from a rooster that had that many points, just not good. I bet if you looked around our forum you might find some people that have nice barred rocks. Personally, I would be moving toward dominiques if I wanted a barred bird, I think the dominiques are beautiful and Mirycreek is working on the breed at her place. They are beautiful!! Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum