Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Power outage!! Need advice

+3
coopslave
mirycreek
chickenjo
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Power outage!! Need advice Empty Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am

chickenjo

chickenjo

I had a power outage last night when I got home.. I was tired and brain dead, otherwise I would have tried heat packs or something to keep my bators warm. This morning I realized that they weren't on all night and checked them. They were at 25 Celcius. Rather than 37.5... pale pale They only had 7 days left on the hatches. Is there hope for them? Or should I dump them and start over? I'm leaning toward keeping them in there and see if anything comes out.. I've never done anything like this so I am unsure..

2Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Definitely there is hope!
Dont give up on them...I bet some will hatch nonetheless, they may be a little late but still ok.
It is much worse to get a temp spike (although Dan may have refuted thatone!)
and no matter what it seems like there are always some little survivors that just have to get hatched..
I once left my duck eggs out "cooling" all night and i still had a decent hatch there and lightbulb went out on my dreadful little Brower incubator but the fan kept running all night cooling them right down and I still had a hatch...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 am

chickenjo

chickenjo

Thanks!! That gives me hope... I hope they hatch as I have some Chantecler eggs that I bought 2 weeks ago in there. I really want some of those babies..

4Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:25 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think you may be pleasantly surprised. They may take a little longer to hatch.
Let us know how it turns out.

5Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 am

chickenjo

chickenjo

Thanks... I will!

6Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:01 am

lisab

lisab

The little guys can be really tough so don't give up on them!

I use a PID controller for my homemade incubator and set it at 37.5C though my cheap little handheld meter kept reading 41C (I was going to throw it out). After 7 days of incubation I realized that the controller was set to a different thermocouple type and the bator was actually sitting up at 40.5C. Amazingly enough I still have a few duck eggs that are developing though I'm worried they may come out as dragons Shocked

7Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Can you candle them to check?
I candle at 10 days and 18 days.
Anything that is not good can give
off fumes that can harm the others.
But I would not give up maybe
candle them at 18 days.
Good luck.

8Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 am

chickenjo

chickenjo

karona wrote:Can you candle them to check?
I candle at 10 days and 18 days.
Anything that is not good can give
off fumes that can harm the others.
But I would not give up maybe
candle them at 18 days.
Good luck.
I have candled them recently and only the ones that look good are in there now. The are mostly developed now and are pretty full in there already.. I don't know how to tell if they have died at this stage.. Do you know of any good websites that can help me with knowing what I'm looking at this stage?

9Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 am

chickenjo

chickenjo

lisab wrote: Amazingly enough I still have a few duck eggs that are developing though I'm worried they may come out as dragons Shocked

That's funny! How hard are duck eggs to incubate? Are they tricky at all?? I have the brinsea octagon 20 advanced. I don't have the humidity pump yet though so that isn't automatic. It is on a turner though.

10Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:22 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Look for veins up around the air sac and your air sacs should be very bright clear. When you have early death the veins will disappear and the air sac won't be as distinct around the edge. Hard to explain sorry. Also look at the bottom of the egg and you may also see movement. I wouldn't give up on them yet Very Happy Hope they hatch for you

11Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:27 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am doing my first duck hatch in my new Octagon 20 Eco with turner. I hatched ducklings last year in a homemade styrofoam incubator turning by hand. I had great hatches you just have to get the humidity up at hatching time otherwise it's no harder than hatching chickens. The extra week of waiting for them hatch is hard though Very Happy

12Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:47 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

13Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 pm

chickenjo

chickenjo

I watched the video.. It was pretty good.. They are informative.. I have found out that information before though and I'm looking for pics of candled eggs that have chicks that have died after 14 days.. Thanks though... It is very nice to get assistance on question.

14Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:42 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

15Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:45 pm

chickenjo

chickenjo

Excellent!! Thanks!! Those were great pics!

16Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 pm

lisab

lisab

Yes, that extra week of waiting and also the 72hrs we waited from pip to zip! Some people find theirs hatch really quick, mine just seem extra chubby possibly from from too high of humidity during incubation.

17Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:55 pm

chickenjo

chickenjo

Soooo! Incubator # 1 has finished hatching after the power outage.. There were 3 that hatched. Although there was a weird green slime in the shell with them, they are ok. 2 of them broke into the air sack and then couldn't get out of the shell, ( I wonder if the shells are too hard?) There were 16 eggs in that one. The incubator # 2 is still waiting. today is day 21 and not a pip yet... I candled them and most of them looked good. I'm hoping I will still get some of the chicks..

18Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 am

chickenjo

chickenjo

It is day 22 and still no chantecler chicks.. The other bator started to hatch on its day 20 even after the outage.. I'm thinking that the other one was a bit warmer. I was checking it 10 times a day and tweeking the temp but it still popped above 102.. It was hard trying to keep it between 98 and 100. My octagon, however, is faithful as can be and the chicks are still alive and well in there. Is this normal? Or should I be upping the temp? It won't hurt them to take a few days longer to hatch will it?

19Power outage!! Need advice Empty Re: Power outage!! Need advice Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:36 am

chickenjo

chickenjo

Or maybe my chicks are half duck and in need of a longer hatch time? lol Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum