Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is 7 old for a purebred jersey milk cow?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is 7 old for a purebred jersey milk cow? Empty Is 7 old for a purebred jersey milk cow? Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:32 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Looking at buying this jersey. She is milking now and due in November. 7 years old, asking $1400. Advice?

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

I just bought a 4 yr old Jersey last year so I am new to this too...but I would say that 7 is about mid aged. Depends on if its from a dairy that worked her hard, bred her every year and milked to the max...or was she a fmaily cow that loved her and was gentle with her? Ive heard of Jerseys having calves at 16! Though I would say thats pushin it a little.

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

I would say it is a fair price though Smile

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with hiddenacres. Our Jersey is coming 10 this year, she is very healthy and happy and due to calve in May.
She has been with us since she was 2 years old so handled and cared for very well, only milks for 6 or so months then is dried up and calves the following year. If this cow was from a dairy they are milked pretty hard, and sometimes live in hard conditions, so they do age a lot different there.
If you can check her teeth, make sure she has all her front teeth, that will tell you something about her, also look at her udder, if it is very long and droopy then I would say she was milked pretty hard and would definately watch that.

The other thing to watch for on a Jersey that age is Milk fever when she calves, and I would ask if she has ever had mastitis. $1400 is a very fair price for a purebred Jersey.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My first Jersey was 6 when I purchased her, milking, registered, but not in calf. She had just freshened. I have to agree, watch for milk fever and mastitis. I paid $1100. My girl is now 8 and and due in less then 2 weeks. I use her to teach kids to milk. I would look at her and see what you think for how she can be handled. My girl came from a dairy, she was very head shy and you couldnt get within arms reach. A bit of grain and a good pasture and lots of brushing while she was tied for milking and now she does good. Now I have three Jerseys. Careful, they can be addicting.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thank you guys for all the good info! We go to see her tomorrow morning if she is not sold to the first callers tonight. Not good chances, jerseys don't stay for sale long these days.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum