Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lost my first bird (slightly graphic)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lost my first bird (slightly graphic) Empty Lost my first bird (slightly graphic) Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 am

Sigh... I'd like to think everyone has this day and that no one has been without casualties along the line.

One of my hens (my smaller buff one) was dead in the coop moments ago. When I went out and turned on the light this morning at 5:30 am, she was in her usual spot in the rafters, standing up and looking down at me like she usually did every morning. I noticed last night she was fluffed up, but thought it was because of the temperature drop we had yesterday. She had seemed a little slower than usual the day everyone was out in the yard, like she wasn't interested in going outside, but I thought, again, she was cold. I'm not very bright.

Between 5:30 and 9am, it appears as though she evacuated her bowls from her perch where I saw her this morning and then either fell or jumped down. The rest of the birds were as far away from her as they could get in their coop and her body was still warm (and it's -15 out right now). I know this can just happen, and that she came from a rough life before I got her (and probably somewhat rough even though I had her), but I'm a little worried as to the health of my others. They all seem alert and once I picked her up they started to move around again. There's 3 eggs already this morning, which is more than usual at this time... They have lots of food and water, I wormed them a few weeks ago and they've been dusted for mites. I'll be re-dusting soon.

I'm going to give her carcass to the outdoor cats -- I don't believe in letting it go to waste and they're wild barn cats as is -- the roo has already put a run on the most curious ones and they aren't out without supervision so I'm not worried that I'll teach the cats anything.

Any advice or thoughts? Anything I should look for on the body? Going out to clean up the mess out there from her droppings and disinfect it.

Blegh... I hate seeing anything dead, especially under my care. Loss number 2 for the farm.

2Lost my first bird (slightly graphic) Empty Re: Lost my first bird (slightly graphic) Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:30 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

When I have a bird die I never let my dogs eat it as I don't want them to think that it is o.k. to eat chickens. I throw my dead bodies over the fence where the coyotes visit each night so the dead bodies do not go to waist. If you want to know what it died from then you need to take the chicken to the local agricultural health testing facility. There is one in Airdrie Alberta and they will do the test for free and email you the results and how to treat or prevent from spreading.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum