Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A small gesture.

+3
Susan
happychicks
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A small gesture. Empty A small gesture. Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:09 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am in a very sombre, heavy hearted place right now so forgive me. I was listening to a radio program about simple gestures and it brought this story from my past to mind. I am certain I have told it before so ask those who are reading a repeat to bear with me.

I have heard two sayings. God is in the details. The Devil is in the details. I think both are true. I think the grand gesture has nowhere near the impact of the small, sweet detail. The tiny gesture that is not done for magnificent recognition but out of true, human compassion and caring. We remember simple gestures. They are tiny but in truth, their value is immeasurable.

The devil is in the details where that small, loving move which is so easy and painless to give, goes ungiven. When being too wrapped up in our own lives we don't make that small gesture. In the hurt we thoughtlessly inflict, there lies the devil. The pain, the disregard, the lost opportunities to heal and help and soothe and mend.

I have seen many small gestures, but this one came to my mind today and I feel the need to write it out.

Many years ago I was shopping for groceries late on Friday night in the mall. This is a small town mall so it is not huge. The grocery store was on one end and its big doors opened out into the mall. IT was practically empty, near closing time.

I kept hearing something. Something out of place. I finally stopped by the deli and listened. It was the sound of crying. Bitter, pain wracked weeping. Gasping, ragged sobs. I looked at the deli girl who was also looking out into the mall where we could not see anything. I stuffed my purse and buggy behind her counter and said, 'watch this' and headed out into the mall.

Other shop keepers had come to their doorays to look and see what was up. It was very quiet excpet for the weeping. I saw a man sitting on a bench, his head in his hands, his whole body shaking with sobs. I slipped in beside him, slid in close and put my arm around him. I leaned close to his ear and said, "I can't help but notcie that you seem upset. What is your name?

His face was in his hands, tears and snot flowing freely, but he seemed to calm a little as I sat there, rubbing his back. Three shopkeepers were huddled together in a doorway nearby. YOu could tell they were all very alarmed and concerned and no one knew quite what to do for this poor fellow. But as I sat there quietly talking to him one of the ladies stepped forward, knelt infront of him and wiped his running nose with a tissue. He was a messy, smeary mess and she cleaned him up. Dabbed his tears. Restored his dignity. Quietly, without words, she set him right.

I was in awe. What a humble yet powerful thing that was. That gesture of caring for him, of wiping the tears and snot. I was thunderstruck and have never, ever forgotten. As she stood she whispered in my ear that they had called an ambulance.

I asked him if he'd like a cup of coffee and he said yes, and I sat with him in the cafeteria until the ambulance crew arrived. They settled in to talk with this fellow as I quietly took my leave and went to the deli to finish my shopping.

The deli girl told me I was brave. I didn't think anything I had done was brave. But that lady who cleaned up a stranger's dirty face, who committed an act others would have found repulsive, to wipe the nose of a stranger in distress. That lady was simply incredible. When I think of that one, weird moment in my life, I think of her.

It's the small things, isn' it? The simple gesture that is an act of kindness. This is on my mind right now.

2A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:31 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What a wonderful example of caring, compassionate gestures on the part of both yourself and the other lady. You are both to be commended for reaching out to a stranger in a time of very obvious distress. You may never know what the source of his distress may have been but you both reached out and made a difference in his life in that moment. The "small gestures" make our world a better place!

3A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Those "small" gestures are not at all small. Those are the "gestures" that save a life. They are the ones that matter and the ones felt most deeply. Thank you for doing that.

4A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:49 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I totally agree. When I'm driving and some idiot cuts me off, I give them a small gesture.

They never appreciate it though.

5A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:48 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler, you're a bad man. I'm gesturing at you right now. Searched for the right emoticon, coudn't find it. Cut that out, this is a serious thread!

6A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler, I use that gesture as well, but when mine comes out it is never small. It usually involves both hands, faces made and yelling at the top of my lungs preferably with my window down so all the people around can hear the crazy woman.

Thanks for the story Uno, it touched me alot. I helped an older fellow one day in the grocery store. He looked very confused and I asked him if he needed anything. He could not read his own shopping list. It was not easy to read, but we managed to read and find all 10 items on it. He was a lovely man and touched my heart.

7A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good for you Coopslave! I truly believe that these small gestures mean so much. Maybe no bog deal for you, but a great deal to the man you helped!

8A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Reading this has made me think of the song Hands by Jewel. In it she sings “In the end, only kindness matters.” I have never forgotten that line and the profound insight in those six words. Thank you for sharing such a sad sweet story uno.

Fowler, that is one little gesture I wish my husband would forget whenever we are driving. Rolling Eyes

9A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:35 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

OK, a serious small gesture.

I was young. To young to be working on the fall harvest. My non-farmer Grandparents used to come over every year and look after us wee ones and make meals during the potato harvest.

Now I don't remember everything. The harvest might have been over and everyone was have a much deserved sleep in. I just remember my Grandfather waking me up in a whisper. I can still see him standing at the bedroom door, "Do you want to come hunting with me?"
"Yeah!"
"Well get dressed, I've got porridge cooking in the kitchen."

I remember where we went but not much else.

It always struck me how profound the impact was. It really stuck with me that he wanted me along enough to specifically come and get me and make us breakfast (my Grandfather was not big into cooking). I was too young to do more than just walk along behind on a sunny brisk October morning but it sure meant a lot to a little tyke.

and it was such a small gesture that he probably never really thought much about it at all. Probably forgot it a couple of weeks later.

10A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:27 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm now a grandfather and to me anytime spent with a grandchild is precious. Fowler, your wanting to go hunting with an old man was the small gesture.

11A small gesture. Empty Re: A small gesture. Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:18 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rosewood, you made me cry!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum