Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Houseplants: Those darn flies!

+6
CynthiaM
poplar girl
karona
SerJay
coopslave
Schipperkesue
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:21 pm

So I have a problem, and its worse than ever. For the longest time, I managed to rid myself of the little black fly-ish menace that afflicted my house plants -- they're back with a vengence!

What can I do to get rid of these things? I've baked all my dirt at 200F for 30 minutes to steralize and, now that they're back, it'd mean having to pull all the plants again to do the same. Do any of you have any other treatments for this or know of a way to get rid of them? I've tried diluted dish soap, vinegar in the water, apple cider vinegar beside the plants, steralizing soil, changing the soil to new steralized soil... noooo luck. Am I doomed?

Thanks!

2Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Buy the little yellow sticky things that bugs are attracted to then get stuck to. I got mine at Rona.

Sue

3Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:Buy the little yellow sticky things that bugs are attracted to then get stuck to. I got mine at Rona.

Sue

Oooo... what on earth are they called? Or if I say "Yellow sticky things for bugs" will they know?

Does this eventually solve the problem, or is it a rinse/lather/repeat type system?

4Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, if you ask for yellow sticky bug catchers you should be understood.

You may be able to make your own by smearing yellow paper with vaseline. Best thing- totally non toxic!

Sue

5Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:40 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Iknow in Australia they use milk for some of the bugs they have down there. Just plain old milk. Not sure what it does though..... I will see if I can find some info for you. Rolling Eyes

Oops, looks like it is for powdery mildew, not bugs. Have a look here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:49 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is some cool stuff here too:

7Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:26 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm not at all helpful with the soil because I am kind of a black thumb and any plants I have live in spite of me rather than because of me Very Happy We do use the yellow strips Sue speaks of it looks like a cardboard tube and then yellow tape pulls out and you hang everywhere the to catch the little little pests and makes for VERY classy decor not to mention the satisfying buzz as they try desperately to get unstuck is also super classy Razz
I also use vaseline on my horses in fly season and it works so Sues idea could work. The nasty things enjoy feasting on my horses private parts where they can't reach to scratch and there's no hair to cover them. I go through tons of vaseline just gooping them up on their bellies and inside their thighs. The flies are attracted and get themselves stuck in the thick layer of goop. Cleaning the goop off is rather nasty when it is black with flies but I'm certain my horses appreciate it and I can do it anytime I want as they look forward to my coming to the rescue so stand there quietly waiting for me to finish. Anyways after that long story my point is if you can find something they find attracting and cover it in vaseline you can catch them in the vaseline goop Very Happy

8Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:12 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

A few months back I did some googling on these flies
can not remember where I found it but it said sometimes
these flies accually come from your kitchen sink and to
pour boiling water down your drains to kill them.
I found the flies got bad when hubby was away working and
I was not doing as much cooking ie boiled pasta potatoes etc where you would be straining and the boiling water
was going down the drain.
Not sure if this is your problem but easy to try it.

9Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:28 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I believe you are referring to fungus knats. If that is the case they are generally not a huge health hazard to your plants, they are just annoying.

If they are fungus knats and you look closely at the soil when you water the plant you will see thousands of title blackheaded worms (correctly called maggots as they are the larvae of the flies). The flies lay eggs in the soil, the maggots hatch and then turn into flies. They eat from the roots and organic matter in your potting soil.

The problem with repotting to get rid of them is the existing flies will lay eggs in your new, clean soil and start the problem all over again.

Sticky traps are a good idea. Not sure what else you can do to get ride of the short of insecticide which I wouln't recommend.

I find I get an outbreak if I don't water my plants consistently. So if i let my plants dry out too much then I will cause a hatch. Sames goes for keeping them too wet.

10Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh blah, I know exactly what you are talking about. When I had my small nursery and would ready the seedlings to grow for the clients later in the spring, I would get these, think they are called mould gnats (also known as fungus gnats, I prefer to call them mould gnats) and they are a pain in the butt. They would be attracted to the moist soil, particularly is the seedlings had been grown for a longer period of time. Sometimes when one is working with "sunshine" mix type growing mediums (soiless mediums they are called), there is an algae that forms on it, kind of slimey. Comes from the low pH of the soil, which is made mostly of spaghnum peat moss, some pearlite and other components. They love the black slime and that is when I would have the problem. It never became so bad I couldn't stand it, but it was just part of what happens when one is growing young plants in this type of medium for a long time.

I am wondering what you are using for your soil for your plants. You indicated that you sterilize your soil. Lends me to think it is soil you have obtained from outside for your plants?

In all honesty, how many plants do you have? Do you have few enough that you could change the entire soil medium and start out with fresh. I know you mentioned that that would be a whole lotta work. But I think this is what you will need to do. It may save you a whole lotta grief further down the road.

What type of potting soil are you using? Perhaps if it is one that too much peat moss in it, get a different type that has less of this. Peat moss is notorious for having a very low pH, you may have to alter the pH of the soil by raising it a little bit. That would cause less algae to grow on the soil. I am sure this is what the little boogers are attracted to. Also, I think that you are over watering the plants.

More clearly define what type of soil you have. I had the problems with the algae forming because there were certain young seedlings that needed to have been kept moist, very moist, with no drying out. As opposed to many that should have a fair amount of drying soil out and then watering deeply. These were the plants affected with the mold nats. A dang nuisance.

Back in my old life my house was full of houseplants, some very old ones, some not so old. I did not EVER once have a problem with any kind of mould knat inside. I think this is because I basically NEGLECTED the houseplants, as far as watering would go. Seriously....I know that plants that are grown inside require less watering. They don't have the wind to evapourate the moisture and tend to have a more stagnant air circulation, hence less evapouration than outside. When I watered my houseplants, and have had them for nigh onto 40 years of living with houseplants, so kind of have an idea of what I am talking about, if anything I have under-watered my houseplants. I would water no often than every couple of weeks, at the miniumum. Some plants only received water every month. Keeping soil moist in the inside environment for plants can be one of the worst things for them. Plants (and you don't have to believe this as gospel, I do not purport to know everything, am only citing my experience here), for optimum root growth and vegetative growth should have the appropriate water conditions for their environment. For example, if a plant is kept moist all the time, the roots will not grow properly, as they will not be growing to search for water. Another opposite example. A plant that needs to search for water will have great and lovely roots. Ones that will sustain that plant, keep it strong, have lots of roots to absorb water and nutrients. The older a plant gets, the less water it needs, if it has been nurtured properly from the beginning. A healthy, older plant will have a beautiful root system, that when watered, will have all those strong roots to gather the water nutrient to live. A plant that has no root system, by improper care, will need more water (and will not be able to use it very well) because it has a very small root system. I don't know if this makes sense, but it is what it is. That is why my plants go easily go well over 2 weeks (most of them that is) with only a deep watering, every now and then. That is because they were in the appropriately sized containers that they could grow great and massive roots, to absorb water and nutrients with great big root systems. Another thing, water less in the winter, when temperatures are cooler, most people over water in the wintertime, bad, bad, careful of overwatering. I have rambled on enough.

Hope you get the problem solved. I too would hang the sticky traps for the flies. I never bothered in the greenhouse, the flies only affected certain areas and then those plants eventually went outside anyways, just a pain in the rear for sure though. Keep us posted on how things work out for you. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Here is a link to a forum that discusses the fungus knat (I call it mould knat), it is interesting, read the discussion, you will become better informed by others that keep plants in the house Very Happy

11Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Those yellow sticky things are called white fly traps.

12Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 am

GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno
New Here

Can't remember what book I got this from (I got it on loan from a friend), but I brewed some up and it really seemed to work for me last winter. It doesn't work on aphids though (as I found out this winter).

Squeaky Clean Tonic
1 c. antiseptic mouthwash
1 c. tobacco tea
1 c. chamomile tea
1 c. urine
½ c. Murphy's oil soap
½ c. lemon scented dish soap
Mix in a bucket. Apply to point of runoff (spray on?) MOS suffocates bugs. Lemon scent chases bugs away. (I applied to roots, rather than leaves). It cleaned up both the flies and the spider mites (for me).

http://homesteadingwithwaterlily.wordpress.com/           http:/

13Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:18 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

They can also be called aphid traps. They come in various forms but are generally yellow and sticky. Work great!

14Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:14 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fungus Gnats larva live in the top moist section of the soil. Usually get worse when you over water. The larva live off organic matter.
So letting the top surface of the soil dry out makes it hard for the larva to live and is less ideal for the females to lay eggs in. The yellow sticky cards help reduce the adult populations. Also putting a layer of sharp gravel or decorative rocks around the plants makes it hard for the females to deposit their eggs.

Easy trap to make for larva is half a small potato put cut side down onto moist soil surface. The larva will crawl up into the potato slice ( in 6 to 12 hours) then throw away the potato slice.

15Houseplants:  Those darn flies! Empty Re: Houseplants: Those darn flies! Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I dusted the topsoil with DE and I have had no problems since.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum