Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Diatomaceous Earth

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Diatomaceous Earth Empty Diatomaceous Earth Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Prairie Chicken

Does anyone use DE as a feed supplement for poultry? or for human consumption? Just looking for feed-back.

2Diatomaceous Earth Empty Re: Diatomaceous Earth Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:31 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't use it as a feed supplement as "I read" that it does not work once digested as the saliva/liquid in the stomach dissolves the fossilized animal and is of no use at that point. However, I am back on to using it sparingly on the roosts and in the coop litter as a deterrent only from unwanted mites and lice. And I stress 'sparingly', as I would be concerned about the birds respiratory system if they were constantly inhaling it. So far I have seen no negative side effects after two years of using it. If the birds have mites and/or lice it has not been my experience that it is effective in any way and one has to pull out the 'big guns'.

That's my input! Smile

3Diatomaceous Earth Empty Re: Diatomaceous Earth Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:27 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use feed grade DE in the dust baths and in all nest boxes and on the floor, no problems at all, I also mix it in the feed about 2 times a month, it works to kill internal parasites, it is also used on horses and cattle and all othe farm animals as well as the dogs and cats. I fond out about it from a cattle farmer that uses no mediations at all and uses it to worm all of his cattle.

http://www.popscoops.com

4Diatomaceous Earth Empty Re: Diatomaceous Earth Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:15 am

turkeylurkey

The owner of the abattoir I use recommends giving turkey poults a wet mash with diatomaceous earth added first thing in the morning as a preventative for Blackhead.

Here's a link to some information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

http://www.guppy.ca

5Diatomaceous Earth Empty Re: Diatomaceous Earth Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:41 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have been using it since this spring for all my critters. I heard about it last year and a lot of people swear by it.
I put it in the feeds of all my birds. I mix it in with there grain feed and I had been putting it in their dusting pits. I also have been mixing it in with oats for my sheep. Is it working? I don't know, maybe! I don't do any other form of deworming for my birds other than giving them pumpkins in the fall. I never really had any problems with lice or anything, as I also hang those pest strip things in the coop, so I don't know for sure if it is doing anything there either. One thing I have noticed though, every year when the birds make that transition to being locked up from free ranging all summer when the weather starts turning cold, I would have by now lost one or two birds. However, this year, knock on wood, I haven't lost a one so far! Is it because of this "VOODOO" dirt? I would have to wait and see another year to be sure.
I am curious to hear from other people that do use it for their livestock. I wonder how much they give to the animals and what exactly they are achieving by feeding it to them!?!?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum