Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

polydactyl kittens

+2
Hidden River
coopslave
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1polydactyl kittens Empty polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have put up a kijiji ad for our kittens. Lots of pictures, thought you all might like a look.
http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-pets-cats-kittens-for-sale-Polydactyl-kittens-W0QQAdIdZ336810309

2polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:40 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Awww, what I wouldnt give for that Blue Point male..Unfortunately he would just be a farm cat and couldnt justify that much.
These are great little cats, we used to have one for a neighbor, except she was a polydactyl manx cat, blue point female, and my husband who is not real partial to cats, just adored her. Maybe because she wasnt actually ours...
I am sure you will find them great homes.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:33 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave. Here is a chance to educate someone. Tell me what's the deal with these cats? I'm looking at your pics and thinking, aw, poor little deformed kitties. Will they be able to climb trees with those big, wonky feet? IS this a desireable thing? I don't get it. And why are they named after dinosaurs? I thought maybe they were pteradactyl cats, like with bat wings. I got all excited.

Sorry for my ignorance, I know less than nothing about cats. All I do know is they require me to take antihistamines and scratch until my eyeballs fall out.

They're cute but gee, you think someone could breed the bad feet out.

4polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:50 pm

I was curious too. I am fostering kitties from the SPCA and there are so many of them! What makes the extra toed ones worth selling? Not challenging you, am honestly curious. Is it just that? The "curiousity" factor? Or do they do something special?

They sure are cute!

5polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:16 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I suppose you could look at them as deformed. I have always had them and find them different than other cats. I have always found them extremely good hunters, I had one that would catch grasshoppers out of the air. I also find them a little more laid back than some cats. A bit more casual and maybe a bit more dog like.
We always called them Hemingways growing up, it wasn`t until a few years ago I heard the term polydactyl.
I suppose supply and demand means they can be sold. There is people here charging $50 for regular kittens. I had a tough time finding some barn cats in the spring for free.
I have the blue point at a high price because I will keep him if nobody is intersted in him. He is the first of his colouring I have ever seen and I have had a facination with these cats for a long time.
I did not mean to offend anyone by asking money for these kittens. Pet stores can not get enough of them and I can tell you they sell them for a lot more than this. I would be open to offers eventually, we will see how it goes. They are the last we will have. Mum is being fixed. I would actually like to keep a couple, but have to many barn cats now (she had a litter earlier and they are mostly uncatchable) and a very happy, fat house cat already and hubby says no more.
Here is some info for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyl_cat

6polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:38 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would so love the little brown tabby male! We had one very similar looking but he had a stumpy tail. Looked like a mini lynx. He was a wonderful little cat. He escaped a couple days after we moved to Winfield and we were unable to find him Sad after my old orange guy passed two summers ago I had declared we would not get a kitten as we were actually down to one house cat from four! But my hubby is the cat man ....I will work on him.
Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

7polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:03 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do the extra toes have bone and claws, or are they just floppy appendages? I'm not a cat person but they do look adorable.

8polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

They have bone and claws but are usually not really usable digits.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

9polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

polydactyl is only common on the West Coast.
Our first kitten was very clumsy but funny the
other one was gracefull as any other cat.
The extra digit does not stop them from
hunting or hinder them in any way.

10polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

polydactyl is only common on the West Coast.
Our first kitten was very clumsy but funny the
other one was gracefull as any other cat.
The extra digit does not stop them from
hunting or hinder them in any way.

11polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:11 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

fuzzylittlefriend wrote:I would so love the little brown tabby male! We had one very similar looking but he had a stumpy tail. Looked like a mini lynx. He was a wonderful little cat. He escaped a couple days after we moved to Winfield and we were unable to find him Sad after my old orange guy passed two summers ago I had declared we would not get a kitten as we were actually down to one house cat from four! But my hubby is the cat man ....I will work on him.
Anne

Anne, I have a bit of a soft spot for that little male. He acts all tough when someone new comes in the tack room and will have a little hiss, until you pat him and then he turns to mush! Laughing He loves his lovin` and will even roll onto his back for a tummy rub. He is very much like his mother, in looks and temperament, and she is a lovely cat and an amazing hunter. We are always surprised at the range she has on the ranch.

12polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:14 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Do the extra toes have bone and claws, or are they just floppy appendages? I'm not a cat person but they do look adorable.

Uno, all the ones I have had have always been very good with the extra toes. Using there feet more like hands to grasp and move things. I think that is why they have been such good hunters. They can actually fold the 'thumb' toes into the others.
The info says you have what the claws on the extra toes, but I have never had any trouble at all with it.

14polydactyl kittens Empty Re: polydactyl kittens Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would love one of your kittens but alass I have 3 right now. I have a poly and he's the bigest prince ever!! His best friend is my german sheppard. He's a hunter but will also have his snack brought to him or just plain out steal it from his 1/2 brother.Smart as a whip and no fear..... has this bad habit of climbing trees .....getting about 30ft in the air then stopping dead, look around and let go. POOF on the ground running haha he's a funny little man with huge personality.We call ours Claude-hopper

I hope you find many great homes for them coopslave.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum