Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BC Poultry Producers Warned to Stop Using Antibiotic

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is believed that the use of bovine antibiotic on chickens is causing an increase in drug resistant Campylobacter bacteria found on chicken in grocery stores.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just one more reason I am thankful for eating one of our home grown roos for supper last night. Funny, he lived 8 months without ever needing drugs! What strikes me most about that article is that they are saying the mass producers are not only using low levels on their young birds, but also drugs in the parent stock. Resistance can be passed to the next generation, so of course they have to rely on more drugs. Imagine eating those birds- yummy!

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very interesting. I agree Susan i am so happy to be able to raise my own poultry and know what is going in them.

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

And yet. . . I see a lot of posts on here about using antibiotics without identifying the cause of illness. This is pretty much the same thing.

Antibiotic resistance in bacteria is a HUGE problem, not just in poultry, but in people, and is largely attributable to innapproprate or prohylactic use of antibiotics.

Use antibiotics when(and only when) you know what disease you're dealing with, and you know the dose that's needed to treat it. Don't treat "just in case".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum