Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lloydminster

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lloydminster Empty Lloydminster Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:50 pm

rbryne

rbryne

I think we are going to go to Lloyd on Saturday. Is anyone else planning on going? Sounds a lot like the Indian Heads sale as they limit what can be sold together and seller must provide information on what kind of birds and the sex of each. Again a little accountablility on the part of the seller.

2Lloydminster Empty Re: Lloydminster Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have had issues with this sale in the past. They make the buyers think the sellers are fully accountable for issues with the birds. I purchased a pair of Pilgrim geese there, both had angel wing. I pulled them out of their small soggy box after I paid for them and transfered them into a larger cage. I went back in and discussed with the ladies at the desk the issues I had and they said nothing could be done.
So it is still buyer beware...
I do like their set up in the fact that boxes are on tables, not piled up on each other.
It is worth going to I think, I just cant make the trip this year. I am sure you will have a good time. Just don't put a lot of faith in seller's being accountable for their birds.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Lloydminster Empty Re: Lloydminster Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:56 pm

rbryne

rbryne

Thanks for the heads up it sounded like a good system but I guess someone has to implement the rules. Unless I see something that really apeals to me I probably will not buy but this is great advice.

4Lloydminster Empty Re: Lloydminster Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:04 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I say take a flashlight with you. If the boxes are too small for the birds, avoid buying them. People that take the time to box properly shows a buyer that they most likely have better quality birds, they are proud to show them off. TO me a small squishy box makes me think they are trying to hide something.
But with a flashlight you can see into the boxes, and look at what you are buying before you bid. Sometimes we get caught up in "auction fever" and start bidding on things that sound good but not really sure of what we are getting... We have all been there I am sure.

5Lloydminster Empty Re: Lloydminster Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm

rbryne

rbryne

Great advice Jayme. The only birds that I have bought at auction were a couple of guineas and two golden pheasant males. All were in adequately sized boxes and showed the birds off nicely. Some of the boxes I saw were way too small and I suspected the same thing that you mentioned. If I were selling birds I would want to show them off so that I could get the best price possible. I did not think of the flashlight however.

Thnaks again.

6Lloydminster Empty Re: Lloydminster Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I can't take all the credit for the flashlight, Chickee's mom taught me that trick. Oh and she taught me about a pencil and a peice of paper too, so you can write down the box numbers.

7Lloydminster Empty Re: Lloydminster Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:24 pm

rbryne

rbryne

I did learn the pencil and paper trick on my first outing. Found that I could not remember numbers as well as I thought and just about missed bidding on the birds that I was interested in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum