Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heritage Roos ready for cooking

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Heritage Roos ready for cooking Empty Heritage Roos ready for cooking Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:51 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last week I processed my extra roosters. These were hatched sometime in May, so were around 5 mos old, give or take. Out of these the 2 largest were a Chantecler weighing 3 lb, 12 oz, and a Buff Orpington at 1 oz less, 3 lb, 11 oz. This is strictly carcass weight, no heart, gizzard etc.

The Wyandottes were considerably smaller, but were also hatched later, so it is hard to make a fair comparison on weight. One thing I do know, they taste wonderful!

I was at a ladies night out fundraiser after cooking one of my heritage roos and the subject came up about what we'd all had for supper that evening. I had some blank looks when I mentioned our family had enjoyed a gourmet meal of seasoned, slow baked Wyandotte! Laughing

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2Heritage Roos ready for cooking Empty Re: Heritage Roos ready for cooking Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:57 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow. Those look so professional, all vacuum sealed like that. Mine look like they were shot in the act of running for their lives. THey are not neat and tidy, but legs and wings sticking out in every direction. It has always been a mystery how anyone gets their birds looking all neat and co-operative.

THe legs on htat last bird, he must have been very tall! I find with roostrs, that's where most of their early growth goes, into bone structure. TOo bad it'd not easier to make them into steers. You have an impressive product there. Good job!

3Heritage Roos ready for cooking Empty Re: Heritage Roos ready for cooking Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:10 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

oops, that was a bit misleading when I said "I" processed them! I should have said I took the easy route this time and got them professionally butchered at Messinger Meats. Embarassed
They do look nice, so clean and nicely packaged. Last year I really did butcher my own and it was an all-day job. I remember I did not even get around to raking up feathers till the next day. In my mind it is SO worth the $4.00 each.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4Heritage Roos ready for cooking Empty Re: Heritage Roos ready for cooking Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:36 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Those do look lovely, they are posed so modestly. And isn't vacuum packing just the best?

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5Heritage Roos ready for cooking Empty Re: Heritage Roos ready for cooking Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Joe does do nice work there! However, I was not impressed that I didn't get the hearts or gizzards back from my birds! He said he didn't have anyone there to do them that day. No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum