Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pet bird with a burnned mouth. Ideas?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pet bird with a burnned mouth. Ideas? Empty Pet bird with a burnned mouth. Ideas? Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

So I just got a call from my mom. We now have a very unhappy cockatiel. Long and short of it is, he managed to chew through the cord on his light and electrocute himself. Burnt his mouth and one eye is now permenantly? closed. Haven't seen him so cannot verrify. My question is this. Are there any kind of pet bird mash-type mixes I could find for him? I doubt he's going to want to eat seeds (if he makes it through the night ) Crying or Very sad He doesn't like veggies much but I'm considering pureeing some to see if he'll change his mind given the circumstances.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I knew someone who had an injured bird and they fed it babyfood.. They mixed pablum in it or fed banana and pablum.

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Boil an egg and mash it, ad some ionic silver if you have, the silver will fix a burn very very fast, put some in a small spray bottle and spray him with it on the burnt area, you can also ad soem baby food to the eggs.

http://www.popscoops.com

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Keep in mind with electrical burns the extent of the burn is not evident (in people, anyway) for up to 5 days, as electrical burns keep burning much longer then other types. I'm sorry to hear about your cockateil!

In vet clinics we usually use a hand feeding formula for hand feeding baby birds, when we have ill or injured birds. Heat and low stress are extremely important for healing for pet birds, too. Heating bottle, quiet environment, not too much stress. I wouldn't push force feeding right away, give him water and offer the formula, or perhaps some fresh fruit.

Good luck!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

5Pet bird with a burnned mouth. Ideas? Empty Re: Pet bird with a burnned mouth. Ideas? Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:40 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I brnt my hand taking the 35 pound turkey out of the oven, sprayed it with silver 4 times that evening and again in the am and it was basicly healed on day 2, still a mark but no pain. It is worth a try and yes electrical burns can take das to show the damage done.

http://www.popscoops.com

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Thank you all very much, I'm going to have a look at him today and see how he's doing. Will update latter today.

Update: Well, it would appear he was a Cat in another life, because he's doing okay. Definetly burt his toung, and has a new found fear of lights on his cage, but otherwise seems to be perking up good. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum